Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 18 versys 650lt the speedometer is off by quite a bit. highway speeds 5 to 7mph. When I ride with my dad and his gold wing trike mine says we are going way over speed limit all the time and he tells me 60mph and I am usually at 65 to 67 following. even when we come to those digital speed detectors my bike never seems to be on. The bike is DEAD STOCK with factory gearing and tires. about 3000 miles. anyone else have bad accuracy issues and is there maybe a computer update or flash that could correct this! I will contact dealer but wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Just FWIW - on my '15 V650LT I run a Shinko E705 rear, sized 150/60, and front sized 120/70, OEM stock 15/46 gearing, and MY speedo [CONFIRMED on my GPS] is w/in 2 to 3 kms/hr all the time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've owned a fair number of Japanese bikes and their speedometers all said I was going faster than I really was. Speedometer say's you're doing 75 and you're really doing 70. That difference decreases the slower you go. I am not at all bothered by it but if I truly want to go 70, I put it on 75.

If it really bothers you, get a SpeedoHealer. I've never owned one but others I have known have used them. Don't remember of any complaints:

SpeedoHealer v4 (SH) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

Here's where you look up the model #.
SpeedoHealer v4 (SH) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

·
Registered
190 Posts
...anyone else have bad accuracy issues and is there maybe a computer update or flash that could correct this! I will contact dealer but wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
We all experience it, there is no factory software flash to fix it. For the manufacturer, its a CYA move to make sure they are compliant with the laws that require road going bikes to never ever ever have a speedo that reads LESS than the actual speed the vehicle is traveling. Those same laws say it can read as much as 10% more than the actual speed, thus we end up with error you describe. With tire pressure and tire brand diameter variances possibly contributing to 2-3% difference, they build in a higher margin for themselves. Its not just Kawi my little Yamaha dual sport had a similarly optimistic speedo when new.

Be aware that some of the different products to fix this only address the speed error, and will cause the ODO to read in error when the speed is accurate. Some devices will compensate so that both MPH and ODO are accurate, shop accordingly to your desired accuracy.

Reactions: SkinnyLittleBitch

·
Registered
533 Posts
So on my 18 versys 650lt the speedometer is off by quite a bit. highway speeds 5 to 7mph. When I ride with my dad and his gold wing trike mine says we are going way over speed limit all the time and he tells me 60mph and I am usually at 65 to 67 following. even when we come to those digital speed detectors my bike never seems to be on. The bike is DEAD STOCK with factory gearing and tires. about 3000 miles. anyone else have bad accuracy issues and is there maybe a computer update or flash that could correct this! I will contact dealer but wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I can't remember ever having a motorcycle (all brands) that had a correct speedometer from the factory.When I worked for the Los Angeles Police Dept. motorcycle shop many years ago, we had a speedometer shop which could modify and calibrate speedometers. When they came pretty much sealed like with the first Kawasaki Police specials; Kawasaki designed a special speedometer especially for Police use and it was dead on.The motor cops could push a button to lock speed when they paced the speeders. Big deal before radar..

Speedo Cluster from 1978 Kawasaki Police speedo

Incidentally, changing the front sprocket on the V650 to a 16tooth make the speedo dead on!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I swapped the rear sprocket for a 43 tooth version and found that it suits my riding style AND the speedo is now within 1/2 mph of what my GPS indicates the speed is. That's my solution to the issue for what it's worth.

·
Registered
281 Posts
From what I've heard, being off by as much as 10% is considered "good enough" by the manufacturers. Like someone else mentioned, I've never had a motorcycle speedo that was right on. I was running a 44T rear sprocket for a while which made it dead on. But I went back to the 46T because it worked better for my purpose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Motorcycle speedos are like Cessna fuel gauges....not even close to accurate. Just need to adjust in your head.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Motorcycle speedos are like Cessna fuel gauges....not even close to accurate. Just need to adjust in your head.
Oooh, I believe I would prefer an aircraft fuel gauge that's pretty close to being accurate. If my bike runs out of fuel I can coast to a halt and begin fussing. If my aircraft runs out of fuel I'd be much more excited and upset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I don't have a problem adjusting in my head the speed but it does rack up more miles on the odometer than the bike actually travels. could possibly eventually lead to lower resale ?? but probably not that big a deal I guess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well I don't have a problem adjusting in my head the speed but it does rack up more miles on the odometer than the bike actually travels. could possibly eventually lead to lower resale ?? but probably not that big a deal I guess.
Speedometer and Odometer record mileage seperately...your Odometer will be more accurate for total mileage on bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is off anywhere from 3 to 10 mph depending on the speed you're going & how quickly/slowly you picked up speed. I've also noticed that lately, there is no real rhyme or reason to how much or little it's off.

Dealer told me that the law allows 10% variance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It might have been mentioned here already - haven't scoured the thread - a simple speedo fix is to install a one-size taller rear tire. I did this on my Vx300, going from 130/80 to 130/90. My speedo is now pretty much dead-accurate, according to GPS. However my odometer is now pessimistic by 5% (which doesn't bother me) .
FWIW, I believe a wider tire on the stock rim might have same effect, as pinching the tire also creates greater circumference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts