Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With stock gearing, my speedometer is showing to be approximately 5 MPH faster than what multiple GPS units have stated. While this normally wouldn't be an issue, I plan on changing the front sprocket to a 15t which I assume will exacerbate the issue. I was wondering if anybody has had the same issue and if they also changed to a 15t front sprocket, what MPH difference did they end up with? I feel like it would be an issue if I ended up having a difference of 10MPH+.

I am considering contacting Kawasaki and seeing if I can file a warranty claim to have the sensor replaced so the stock gearing is more accurate.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
671 Posts
From other posts, and review of how the speedo works, the sprocket shouldn't affect the speedo. The x 300 speedo reads off the rear tire sensor, which is independent of the gearing. Taller or shorter tires would affect it, though.

Your RPMs will (obviously) be different for the same speed.

Oddly, my speedo (2017 versys-x 300) is within 1-2mph when I've checked a couple of times). My checks weren't very strict/intended for great accuracy... just thumb in the wind.

Reactions: Brockie and Respen

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From other posts, and review of how the speedo works, the sprocket shouldn't affect the speedo. The x 300 speedo reads off the rear tire sensor, which is independent of the gearing. Taller or shorter tires would affect it, though.

Your RPMs will (obviously) be different for the same speed.

Oddly, my speedo (2017 versys-x 300) is within 1-2mph when I've checked a couple of times). My checks weren't very strict/intended for great accuracy... just thumb in the wind.
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I assume there's a margin of error for speed sensors, my x300's must be near the limit of the margin. If I remember correctly, my 650 is only off by a mile or two like your x300.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Manufacturers are required to assure that their speedo's do not UNDER read and therefore always ensure that they read optimistic, and yes, the speed reading comes from the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (i.e. the ABS sensor).

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
123 Posts
Both Kawasaki's that I own are off about 10% compared to a GPS. 1999 ZRX1100 and 2017 X 300. Everyone's ZRX was off the same amount. This way Kawasaki can say that their bikes are faster. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
FWIW - my '09 and '15 V650s (w/ a rear 150/70 Shinko) are VERY close to spot on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I suspect that the speed sensor picks up its data from the rear wheel. Changing the front sprocket won't make a difference to the speedometer reading.

My friend has a Versys-X with the 15-tooth front sprocket. My Versys-X has a 14-tooth front sprocket. When we traveled on the motorway at 100 km/h (at the same speed relative to each other), I could see across and read his speedometer. It indicated the same speed as mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With stock gearing, my speedometer is showing to be approximately 5 MPH faster than what multiple GPS units have stated. While this normally wouldn't be an issue, I plan on changing the front sprocket to a 15t which I assume will exacerbate the issue. I was wondering if anybody has had the same issue and if they also changed to a 15t front sprocket, what MPH difference did they end up with? I feel like it would be an issue if I ended up having a difference of 10MPH+.

I am considering contacting Kawasaki and seeing if I can file a warranty claim to have the sensor replaced so the stock gearing is more accurate.
The sensor is on the rear wheel so it doesn't make any difference with the speedometer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine is not very good compared to google maps. About 6-8kph off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts