Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer on my 2007 Versys (KLE 650) has gone south. Tach still works fine, but speedo is frozen, and "mode" is stuck in "clock" position, meaning I can't see my odometer or trip counters. Ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The speedometer on my 2007 Versys (KLE 650) has gone south. Tach still works fine, but speedo is frozen, and "mode" is stuck in "clock" position, meaning I can't see my odometer or trip counters. Ideas/suggestions?
i would check / clean the hall effect sensor by the front sprocket and see if that gets the speedo working again as for the button being stuck that could be bad contacts on the switch its self, and you would have to take the dash apart to get to that

·
Registered
603 Posts
First thing I would do is spray some control cleaner(WD40 works) into the left and right buttons on the dash, push a few times to work it in.That would be a likely place for a stuck contact,exposed to the elements and finger goo. Last spring my bike was garage bound for 3 months and by spring my tach needle was sticky. Turned out I had baby spiders inside,the needle unstuck but I could see the baby spiders scurrying inside the instrument face when I turned the bike on! Eventually one spider survived and grew too big to get out,I had a unlikely passenger for a week,he didnt like the wind. He kinda shriveled up and dissapeared.. Also,if you unplugged the battery,wouldnt that reboot the electronics? usually works on my devices..

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I bought my 2011 from a guy, he gave me all the stuff he had for care of the motorcycle. He had some contact spray and some insulin syringes (you can buy them legally in AZ, some states will vary). He said to spray the spray until you get a nice little pool of liquid, then draw it up in the syringe. They have a very fine needle and he said just put that through the rubber around the mode or reset buttons and spray that little bit of liquid in. I did it once some time ago and it worked perfectly.

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. Taking my bike into the shop tomorrow where I'll pass them on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns there was a problem with a third-party addition to the speedo that would automatically correct for a change in front tire size. Scott at Adrenaline Motorcycle Co-op here in Victoria, B.C., disconnected it, problem solved. "Mode" switch is now working. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer a suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts