Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you checked the accuracy of the speedometer and/or odometer on your Versys?

One of my first impressions on my 2011 Versys was that the speedometer was less optimistic than the speedometer on my 08 EX650. I also noticed that the odometer read a few % less over the same distance.

I expect both are more accurate on the Versys, but I wonder how accurate. Sure I could check. But easier to ask first :)

:thanx:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
With stock gearing 08-09 speedo is about 8% low. I believe the ODO is fairly accurate. I don't know if the 10-11 is the same. It was a common topic with the early Vs.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
With a gearing combination of stock front sprocket and a 43 tooth rear sprocket (08 Versys) the speedo is virtually spot-on when compared with my Garmin GPS. Haven't bothered yet to compare the odometer readings, but will one day.

Of course, no GPS is perfectly accurate either so who knows - absolute accuracy is a fleeting target. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With stock gearing 08-09 speedo is about 8% low. I believe the ODO is fairly accurate. I don't know if the 10-11 is the same. It was a common topic with the early Vs.
Similar to what I thought for my EX650, but the Versys odo reads about 3% less, and I haven't yet checked the speedo. I guess I will...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always check the speedo against my GPS when I get a new bike or new tires. I've found tires (even labeled the same size) can make a 2-3 mph difference at 60 mph. FWIW my '08 with stock gearing and Pirelli Angel ST's is dead-nuts on at 60 according to my GPS.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Mine is a 2011 model, changed to 44T, and recently used the GPS to compare speed. Didn't have sufficient roads/ traffic conditions to run a constant speed but I did notice that when I am 50kph indicated speed, GPS is showing 53kph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
By law speedos have to be accurate too. I think the allowable error is 10%, I wouldn't want to know what the government calls inaccurate. 10% is a bit high by todays digital standards.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
I agree with you: we have two cars, and BOTH of them have speedos that are absolutely 'bang-on'! :thumb:

Why are motorcycle speedos incorrect??? Don't know, but IF I can hazard a guess - it's to help people on bikes to stay BELOW the limit...? :huh:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Mine is a 2011 model, changed to 44T, and recently used the GPS to compare speed. Didn't have sufficient roads/ traffic conditions to run a constant speed but I did notice that when I am 50kph indicated speed, GPS is showing 53kph.
A correction to my statements. Got a longer ride time to observe. At 99kph indicated, it is 100kph on the GPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the first bike I have had that reads even close to actual. My 2012 reads around 98 km for 100 km. The odometer is in direct relation to the speedo I'm a little confused on some previous posts.

Timmer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts