Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I'd like to see on the V:

The info panel should have a brightness adjustment--anyone know how to make this happen? I think it would be an improvement in that outside the city the glare / lack of contrast would be reduced and road vision increased.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, the simple solution is to put a variable resistor or potentiometer inline with the LED's but I don't know what the circuit looks like. It may be more difficult in practice due to each of the LED's may be on separate circuits. The other issue is finding the right pot as far as how it turns, mounts, and the resistive value.

Invader, as you've seen the circuit board, do you see a common lead (positive or ground) that could be tapped into so that pot could be added easily?

Edit: Whoops, I think you're talking about the LCD instead of the LEDs, correct? If the LCD uses an EL panel that is much more difficult to adjust.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK. now for the potentially stupid answer...
could you make some sort of glare reducer out of an old computer monitor glare reducing cover and attach it somehow that you could flip it down at night to darken things up a bit? sort of like sunglasses for the info pannel to be worn at night only.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
According to electrical section in repair manual, the indicator unit's illumination light (LED) and LCD display are powered together in common with the main ignition circuit.
Your monitor glare reducing cover sounds like a good idea, Mawson...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hummmm, I've dealing with so many old bikes lately and didn't even stop to think the dash light might already be LEDs.

I ordered a couple of 1194 for the tag and front parking light and 4 1156 in amber for the blinkers I just need to check the blinker flasher as I might have one of those in the "Box 'O Stuff"!

All kind of goodies live in there I was looking the other day and found a pair of Cibie driving lights (no not Oscars) I bought for my Buell. It didn't take long to realize they drew to much juice at 55 watts each. But I saw a H3 LED bulb that draws 3 watts and put out a mess of light so I order a pair. I wanted to save as much power as I could to drive them and may in up going with LED head light bulbs to save even more.

·
Registered
243 Posts
pots on low voltage led's are a recipe for disaster, just like any time you undervolt led's without knowing a lot about the led in question and/or its power and heat capabilities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts