Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my years as a drivability tech, I learned that some engines run as designed or better with certain brands of spark plugs, and much more poorly than designed with others. GM vehicles really like Denso and NGK plugs (as well as AC Delco), and run horribly with Autolite and Champion.

Which brands does a Versys 1000 like best?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either NGK or Denso. I always keep one extra plug around in case I drop and break one(BTDT back in my mechanic days, and later).

BTW, one of the cheaper places to get the plugs is at the dealer, cheaper than Advance, etc unless they jacked up the price. I get mine, along with sprockets, chains, tires and other misc at Rocky Mountain ATV. Excellent pricing and service, though they now charge sales tax, following the law(I think).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I was thinking NGK or Denso.

I tried to keep up with a sport bike on the way to work last night, and ran out of poop at 115 in 6th. Looked up the spark plug change interval and realized I've more than doubled the miles.

My dealer is making it really difficult to buy from them. Rocky mountain sounds pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Thank you for the response. I was thinking NGK or Denso.

I tried to keep up with a sport bike on the way to work last night, and ran out of poop at 115 in 6th. Looked up the spark plug change interval and realized I've more than doubled the miles.

My dealer is making it really difficult to buy from them. Rocky mountain sounds pretty good.

I get my plugs off Amazon...

·
Registered
7,968 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can also get Denso 1502002 oil filters from Rock Auto, while you're at it.

Denso FTF Engine Oil Filter Features:

-Heavy-duty steel case resists distortion
-Pre-lubricated molded o-ring provides superior sealing over generic filters
-Unique Torque Stopper design prevents leaks from under torquing

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2006,insight,995cc+l3+electric/gas,1432630,engine,oil+filter,5340
That's interesting... You used a Honda Insight build to get your filter number. Cool.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get my plugs off Amazon...
I'm kinda pissed at Amazon right now. It seems parts for my only form of transportation to my disaster relief job doesn't qualify as important for normal Amazon Prime shipping.

That, and I have to pay $6 to return the air filter Amazon said was the one for my bike, but wasn't.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
During my years as a drivability tech, I learned that some engines run as designed or better with certain brands of spark plugs, and much more poorly than designed with others. GM vehicles really like Denso and NGK plugs (as well as AC Delco), and run horribly with Autolite and Champion.

Which brands does a Versys 1000 like best?
There is definitely some design science behind spark Plugs and Engines and its just like some car run on certain brand of tires. My BMW 318i will only running on Continental and any other tires I use it will start pulling to the left just after a few kilometer. Scania trucks have the same problem as they need Michelin in the steering axle otherwise you have vibration on the steering column. Just cant figure out how they design and lock you to their brand.
My 09 is on NGK all the while.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm kinda pissed at Amazon right now. It seems parts for my only form of transportation to my disaster relief job doesn't qualify as important for normal Amazon Prime shipping.

That, and I have to pay $6 to return the air filter Amazon said was the one for my bike, but wasn't.
Not to derail the thread, but I agree, Amazon is going to the crapper. There are so many things I look at on there that the reviews list that the items are counterfeit. And the pricing pisses me off. The price on something can change 10 times an hour. I continue to buy my motorcycle parts from places like Revzilla or MotoSport. For auto parts, I buy from Rock Auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts