Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everything you want to know about your Versys X300 sprockets when it is time to replace or change teeth.
Your Versys X300 computer will NOT allow in most cases to go beyond about a 10% ratio change without the dash showing errors, ABS and Engine light luminated, gear indicator blanking out. So going to a 15 front OR a 43 rear BUT NOT BOTH is fine
I warned you!

This is a concise list for all those Versys X300 owners to not have to pay for the high cost of Kawasaki sprockets. This list covers the STOCK sizes and popular alternate sprockets with costs and links.
Rubber bumpered front sprockets run quieter (just like the stock ones from Kawasaki)

For a FRONT 14 Tooth Sprocket, rubber bumpered, there is a drop in aftermarket offered by J.T.Sprockets company. These are very good quality and widely available. This is the equivalent of the stock Kawasaki sprocket that came on the Versys X300 when new. The part number is JTF1539.14RB (JT F=front, 1539 application, 14=teeth, RB=rubber bumpered)
Source#1 for the 14 RB Amazon for under $18 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF1539.14RB 14 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket : Automotive

For a FRONT 15 Tooth Sprocket, rubber bumpered, This is an alternate that is available that is thinner in width and 2 addition genuine Kawasaki splined washer part numbers are needed. This is what I'm running and is a great update (IMHO) This is documented in my video on my YouTube channel in great detail. My video LINK: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube
The sprocket is a J.T. Sprockets and the part number is JTF565.15RB (565=application and 15=tooth RB=rubber bumpered). The bumper keeps the noise down like the stock 14 tooth bumpered.
Source #1 for the 15 RB Amazon for under $12, LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF565.15RB 15 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket : Automotive
Source #2 for the 15 RB Dennis Kirk DOT com for under $11 (but shipping is extra) LINK: JT Sprockets Front Rubber Cushioned Sprocket - JTF565.15RB Dirt Bike Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
This JTF565.15RB needs the washers that are Kawasaki splined parts so see my video. 2 addition genuine Kawasaki splined washer part numbers are needed are available and cheap. See my video for part numbers and sources.

For a REAR 46 or 43 Tooth Sprocket I've had to search more to find the stock size ( 46 tooth ) that would be a replacement and J.T.Sprocket makes a direct replacement for half the cost of the Kawasaki part. ($35 instead of $65)
The 46 tooth part number is JTR486.46 (46 Tooth Steel Rear Sprocket. So the J.T.Sprocket application series for our Versys X300 is JTR486 and you would need the J.T.Sprockets JTR486.46 (46 tooth Steel Rear Sprocket)
Source for J.TSprockets JTR486.46 Amazon (46 tooth ) $35 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTR486.46 46 Tooth Steel Rear Sprocket : Automotive
Source for J.T.Sprockets JTR486.43 Amazon (43 tooth ) $29 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTR486.43 43T Steel Rear Sprocket : Automotive

If you want to really get into the detail see the J.T.Sprockets Application guide (a bit if decoding is needed) lol
LINK: JT Sprockets Application Guide 2021.pdf

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
125 Posts
Everything you want to know about your Versys X300 sprockets when it is time to replace or change teeth.
Your Versys X300 computer will NOT allow in most cases to go beyond about a 10% ratio change without the dash showing errors, ABS and Engine light luminated, gear indicator blanking out. So going to a 15 front OR a 43 rear BUT NOT BOTH is fine
I warned you!

This is a concise list for all those Versys X300 owners to not have to pay for the high cost of Kawasaki sprockets. This list covers the STOCK sizes and popular alternate sprockets with costs and links.
Rubber bumpered front sprockets run quieter (just like the stock ones from Kawasaki)

For a FRONT 14 Tooth Sprocket, rubber bumpered, there is a drop in aftermarket offered by J.T.Sprockets company. These are very good quality and widely available. This is the equivalent of the stock Kawasaki sprocket that came on the Versys X300 when new. The part number is JTF1539.14RB (JT F=front, 1539 application, 14=teeth, RB=rubber bumpered)
Source#1 for the 14 RB Amazon for under $18 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF1539.14RB 14 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket : Automotive

For a FRONT 15 Tooth Sprocket, rubber bumpered, This is an alternate that is available that is thinner in width and 2 addition genuine Kawasaki splined washer part numbers are needed. This is what I'm running and is a great update (IMHO) This is documented in my video on my YouTube channel in great detail. My video LINK: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube
The sprocket is a J.T. Sprockets and the part number is JTF565.15RB (565=application and 15=tooth RB=rubber bumpered). The bumper keeps the noise down like the stock 14 tooth bumpered.
Source #1 for the 15 RB Amazon for under $12, LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF565.15RB 15 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket : Automotive
Source #2 for the 15 RB Dennis Kirk DOT com for under $11 (but shipping is extra) LINK: JT Sprockets Front Rubber Cushioned Sprocket - JTF565.15RB Dirt Bike Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
This JTF565.15RB needs the washers that are Kawasaki splined parts so see my video. 2 addition genuine Kawasaki splined washer part numbers are needed are available and cheap. See my video for part numbers and sources.

For a REAR 46 or 43 Tooth Sprocket I've had to search more to find the stock size ( 46 tooth ) that would be a replacement and J.T.Sprocket makes a direct replacement for half the cost of the Kawasaki part. ($35 instead of $65)
The 46 tooth part number is JTR486.46 (46 Tooth Steel Rear Sprocket. So the J.T.Sprocket application series for our Versys X300 is JTR486 and you would need the J.T.Sprockets JTR486.46 (46 tooth Steel Rear Sprocket)
Source for J.TSprockets JTR486.46 Amazon (46 tooth ) $35 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTR486.46 46 Tooth Steel Rear Sprocket : Automotive
Source for J.T.Sprockets JTR486.43 Amazon (43 tooth ) $29 LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTR486.43 43T Steel Rear Sprocket : Automotive

If you want to really get into the detail see the J.T.Sprockets Application guide (a bit if decoding is needed) lol
LINK: JT Sprockets Application Guide 2021.pdf
Good info Dave ! Just what I needed!

Is Amazon the cheapest you found a did vx3 chain ?

Ride safe, and use money wisely!

JT

Reactions: Dave 300x

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info Dave ! Just what I needed!

Is Amazon the cheapest you found a did vx3 chain ?

Ride safe, and use money wisely!

JT
The D.I.D. VX3 chains costs vary from web site to web site. I found a Kit (front & back sprocket and the VX2 chain already at 112 links that was highly discounted. It was on Dennis Kirk DOT com. Being a close out at 60% off I paid $74 for the three-piece set. I can't use the sprockets but the VX2 (same as VX3 but is black/gold) was a good deal. The three piece kit is for a motorcycle way back in the 90s and was never sold so it was kit at probably sat on the shelf but it is "as new". VX3 chains seem to be anywhere from $95 ish to $130 depending where you look and most as 120 links which means you have to grind off 8 links. I got luck with the kit as it was 112 links which is X300 ready. Shop around and now that it is winter you have time to hopefully find a good sale. Thanks, Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts