Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ive noticed a sound coming from my 12 650 with about 13500 km on it.
The sound is similar to a scraping sound and it feels like its coming from the left side, I can feel it in my left foot seems to be in the area of the shift pedal.
The sound kinda sounds like this but more consistent and periodic .

I notice it more when i have my clutch pulled in, but it may be do to the fact that the engine is not revving up and i can hear it better. I am not to sure what it could be, maybe a bad bearing, or my brakes are sticking, as i keep it outside during the summer.
Any suggestions on where to check would be greatly appreciated thanks !

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check your chain - sounds like a very dry chain. Does it have frozen links? Try to over lube the chain in that case and let the lube it sit for a while to get into the rolls. Then wipe everything off. You may have to do this a couple of times the get it lubed thoroughly.
Also check the wheelbearings..
Or could it be a piece of rock stuck between a brake pad and the rotor? (The rotor is on the right hand, though...)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Sound effect? LOL

Check if your chain tension varies excessively as you rotate rear wheel. It's probably shot, and you'd be looking at replacing your chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a plastic bowl full of cotter pins, I think maybe this might be bs, it might be the chain if its in pieces and in same bowl as cotter pins:stickpoke:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had the tire replaced not to long ago and the said they tightened the chain. I clean it today and lubed and wiped it a number of time. What is the life life expectancy of a chain anyway

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It all depends... It varies a lot.

Have you checked how your chain tension changes as you rotate rear wheel?

·
Registered
643 Posts
No telling what "they" did. Possible misaligned rear wheel, wrong tension. You said you cleaned and lubed chain. Do you know how to inspect the chain and sprockets? Plenty of info sources, including the owner's manual, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we found the issue. It turns out the one of the 3 back bearings is getting bad. the grease was clean on the other two. You can barely feel it when we took the wheel off, but I thinking with the weight of the bike and myself plus any luggage it start to make that sound.
Im going to have to replace the back one I think, Is it something you can do at home or should I take it to a shop ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
you have to admire Invader's patience... :D
he asked 3 times if he checked the chain tension.... from a total of 9 posts :)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Thank you chid for recognizing it. Persistence pays off... Reminds me of this:

Invader you wer right!!!!

I will say it 10 times

YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT
YOU WERE RIGHT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey sorry invader you were right. After closer inspection I think its the chain as well. I check all the links I got a few frozen ones and It seems to chug along at slower speeds. Im going to order an new chain and sprocket kit asap. In the mean time Im going to get the chain tightened because right now its at around 2 inches at the center of the sprockets. I will probably put new bearing in as well later on in the winter.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
601 Posts
Note to all: Listen to Invader.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts