Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed and sounds coming from thier Versys when its turned off? The sound I am hearing sort of sounds like a servo or a small motor turning a small gear. Its hard to explain. The first time I noticed it was one day when i came back from a ride. I parked the V in the garage when I got back. It was probably an hour later I could hear this sound coming from my V as it cooled down. I chalked it up to a thermostate moving due to the bike cooling down and didn't think too much about it.

Then on Sunday, I backed the bike out the garage in preparation for a ride. The bike was not running and had not been running since a couple of days before. It was just sitting there. It had probably been sitting out there for about 30 minutes. I was standing next to it putting on my gear and then again all of a sudden I hear the same sound coming from the bike. It started making the sound as I was standing there. It was not making that sound when I backed it out. I listened for about 10 minutes and it sound continued. Not loud but I could hear it none the less.

Is there something on the Versys that is temperature sensistive and will make a noise just from a slight change in air temperature?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If it sounded somewhat similar to the fuel pump priming itself when you turn the key to the on position it is most likely the vapor escaping from the gas tank. I had the same thing happen to me last week and I asked the same question. It sounds too mechanical to be that, but I bet you a fiver it is. Next time it does it open up your tank and expect a whoosh as the pressure normalizes. :goodluck:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same here, mine was making wierd high pitch noises and I tracked them to the gas tank relieving pressure. My GSXR 750 used to make the same noises too.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
It's just the vapor pressure relase valve in your fuel cap that is farting/whistling... It's perfectly normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
It's just the vapor pressure relase valve in your fuel cap that is farting/whistling... It's perfectly normal.
Thought I had a problem with my ninja 1000 but it just farts with fuel vapor louder than the versys, have found if i open up the petrol cap on the bikes the fart stop :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thought I had a problem with my ninja 1000 but it just farts with fuel vapor louder than the versys, have found if i open up the petrol cap on the bikes the fart stop :D
Bigger cc bikes farts louder in NZ :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I am happy to hear its normal for this bike. Next time I hear the sound I will open the gas cap and see if it stops. Hopefully it does.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah -- and BELIEVE ME -- thats a great sound! My Versys had an issue (2011) when I bought it new in that the gas cap was not venting properly..

Basically after riding the bike for 100 miles, I couldnt even get the cap open there was so much freaking pressure.

Youll notice it more and more on Hot days as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cow farts are one thing but motorcycle farts are deadly to the environment. Don't let the environmentalist find out or they will come in the night and torch our bikes as we sleep.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If the engine is hot the rad fan will continue to run of a min or two after turning the bike off. More likely though it is the gas cap as previously mentioned. I should vent well enough though that you have no issues opening the gas cap. If you do or there is considerable vacuum take it to back to Freedom Cycle while it is under warranty and get them to replace it. Sometimes these will block up on older bikes (it's just a pin sized hole) but not usually an issue on new bikes.

I think there are enough Versys riders in the HRM/NS area to warrant a meet-up/ride. We did something similar when I had a Ninja 500 on the Ex-500.com forum and had 8 riders bikes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey twowheels,
Sounds like a plan! Just let me know the time and place of the meet-up and I will be there. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is great news! Now we can tell our spouses that those fart noises they hear are coming from our bikes.

Riders, let 'em rip!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is great news! Now we can tell our spouses that those fart noises they hear are coming from our bikes.

Riders, let 'em rip!
LOL...I usually blame it on the dog but I guess the V will be taking some of the blame from now on!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts