Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a Versys for close to 6 months now and just recently got serious. Last week I totally missed out on a great deal on a used 2010 for $5200, I was just too slow.

Right now I'm working with a guy on a 2009 with just over 3.7k miles on the bike and I've got him in the $4,000-$4,300 range. All seems well at that price around my area. My concerns are there seems to be fluid leaking from the front right fork. A blown fork seal is my guess. Seller mentioned he'd have it fixed before selling as he's going to try and have it done under warranty.

My other concern is that he used this as a commuter bike and part of that commute was about 3 miles of dirt roads, the bike was messy and wasn't in the condition I would feel comfortable selling it in. I saw no damage and he apologized about the cleanliness of it, but I did ask to see it on short notice.

Anything you guys would think to ask/check that I'm missing? Is a blown fork seal at 3.7k a sign of abuse?

Thanks for the rocking forum!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Welcome and hope you will own one soon.

Not sure how the bike was maintained, but a fork seal leak is rare for the V. Could just be a defective part from the factory. Check the chains, see if they are loose/within spec or well lubed since this is the part that requires the most attention. Rust, dry and loose tension on the chain may indicate that the seller didn't give proper attention to the bike. Check the chain to see if there are any stuck or sticky joints on the 114 links.

Anyhow, the V is a bike that is robustly built, and is able to withstand the lack of maintenance (if it is so) given the low miles it has. Test ride the bike to see if it is well aligned with the bike's tendency not to towards one side, just in case there is a structural bend in the swing arm or forks. The V is really easy to ride and you shouldn't struggle with it to keep it straight.

I suppose there's more to be checked and hope others can chip in.

·
Premium Member
7,805 Posts
:welcome:

It must be worth the $$$ you pay and not necessary to take risk buying what you are not comfortable with. Take time to access the bike and damage.

A simple fork leak is ok, but why and how that leak happen, only the owner know, so ask him and be frank.

:goodluck::cheers:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner said he's taking it to be fixed this week and have the dealer do a full inspection before the warranty is up at the end of this month. I'm going to request maintenance records before purchasing.

I did ride it around a bit and it felt great. Certainly felt balanced even with the leak. I don't feel I inspected the chain enough to give a good opinion of it, will do that once the repairs are complete.

Anyone from the Denver area able to speak on that price? The $4,000-$4,500 range seems to be fair.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
221 Posts
:welcome:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts