Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a rough measurement of the degrees of rotation in the handlebars (full lock to full lock)?

I've done a fork swap and the range of motion is now less than before. I need to do some grinding to increase it to something more usable at slow speeds but I don't have the old forks any more to compare.

Bonus points if you have a protractor and can give me a number within 5 degrees of accuracy.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Can someone give me a rough measurement of the degrees of rotation in the handlebars (full lock to full lock)?

I've done a fork swap and the range of motion is now less than before. I need to do some grinding to increase it to something more usable at slow speeds but I don't have the old forks any more to compare.

Bonus points if you have a protractor and can give me a number within 5 degrees of accuracy.
not much information in your post, but let's assume that you have swapped out the OEM Versys forks and clamps, but have kept the OEM Versys fuel tank. i don't think you need any kind of measurement feedback, all you need to do is determine the interference point of your new forks and clamps. they either hit the tank, or hit the frame, so you adjust the steering stop as necessary to minimize the steering radius for your new setup. this is a common issue when you swap clamps, more so if the new clamps have a smaller clamp center/center than the Versys clamps.

modified stop tab on Versys frame for suspension swap, everything determined by addressing fitment issues. i don't cut the stops on the clamp, they can shear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much information in your post, but let's assume that you have swapped out the OEM Versys forks and clamps, but have kept the OEM Versys fuel tank. i don't think you need any kind of measurement feedback, all you need to do is determine the interference point of your new forks and clamps. they either hit the tank, or hit the frame, so you adjust the steering stop as necessary to minimize the steering radius for your new setup. this is a common issue when you swap clamps, more so if the new clamps have a smaller clamp center/center than the Versys clamps.

modified stop tab on Versys frame for suspension swap, everything determined by addressing fitment issues. i don't cut the stops on the clamp, they can shear.

I will be reducing the width of the steel tab on the frame (the part in your picture that is welded). I'm looking for a rough measurement as a starting point to reduce the amount of times I have to disassemble/reassemble when checking fitment. I need degrees of rotation because my forks are different from the majority of people here. I'll work out how much material to remove when I know what a typical range of movement is.

The handlebars are going to be above the gas tank (its 650R gas tank). I'm a little worried about having too much rotation. I want just enough to comfortably do a U-turn.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts

Hind sight-if you had your before degrees and present degrees-do a calculation by percent difference, take your existing width of the steel tab and using that percent to calculate the new proper width.

Myself I would take a couple pieces of wood, like cedar shakes, put them between the stop and where the metal spacer would go, have it on the side stand , you want enough space between the gas tank and handlebars that should the bike go down, you have room between the gas tank and handlebars for your arm, or hand. Once you have that it is a simple add values and make it.

If that metal piece is intact, measure degrees of rotation . Measure distance ( between stop and metal) when going straight. From straight to full right, measure dgrees. You now have degrees of rotation divide by space between=degrees of rotation per inch?--you then can remove the amount you need by calculating how many degree inches you need. I assume this will be fractions of a inch--I cut it three times and it is still too short!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the head stocks across the ER6 lineup are identical, and about every conceivable clamp/fork swap has already been done on these bikes including the Versys, especially in the States where used parts are available and cheap. invariably the swap of your mystery setup got a writeup on one forum or another, you should check out what everyone else did to address the issues.

at least we know you're using the small ER6 tank on your Versys, also been done previously too many times to count.

no info, no photos...no interest here.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
So I measured from the tip of my bar weight to my top case- Hard right 49 inches, hard left 34.5 inches.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the head stocks across the ER6 lineup are identical, and about every conceivable clamp/fork swap has already been done on these bikes including the Versys, especially in the States where used parts are available and cheap. invariably the swap of your mystery setup got a writeup on one forum or another, you should check out what everyone else did to address the issues.

at least we know you're using the small ER6 tank on your Versys, also been done previously too many times to count.

no info, no photos...no interest here.
what a useless reply.

my build is not based on any writeups.

next time just put "im' too lazy to help you, but not too lazy to respond"

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
"i'm too lazy to help you, but not too lazy to respond"
although you're working on some kind of classified project, the info you're requesting some forum inmate to provide has been available since the introduction of the Versys 650 in 2007. all you had to do was poke around a little, let's say for about 10 seconds. tell us all again about who is lazy.

as i've been saying, while the numbers are there, it doesn't mean they work with your setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't quite understand why jdrocks will only tell you if you show him a photo :).

My Gen 2 seems to be somewhere around 60 degrees (full left to full right). Not a precise measurement, but in that ballpark.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
finally a photo, great looking bike (fix that overflow tank), but those swaps have been made continuously since the bike was introduced in the States in 2008, and plenty has been written over the ensuing years. beyond the added performance of the forks and brakes, the swap was easy because of few or no modifications to the head stock depending on the clamps used, and there were several possibilities. photos similar to yours can be found in the archives of this forum along with discussion. since the head stock on the ER6F (Ninja) and ER6N are the same as the Versys, many of those bikes got the same suspension swap as yours to replace the anemic OEM 41mm conventional forks. at the same time the Versys guys went with the small ER6F tank and deleted the subframe struts, the ER6F guys swapped in the Versys swingarm, 3kg lighter and reported to be stiffer. if those builders also used an aftermarket shock, you had to look closely to determine what you were looking at, the exposed main frames were the same. the seat was a clue.

getting back to the OP question, did you ever once look at the manufacturer's published specs for your very own bike? no awkward measurements, no guesswork to get within 5 degrees, the numbers provided are specific and precise. the minimum turning radius is also right there, if anyone is interested. the numbers for the ER6F and ER6N are identical, you could have looked at those specs also.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
This thread is a cross between entertainment and the fact I have a 27DB loss at 1500 HZ , --'-- "WHAT DID YOU SAY"--'-''-'''----''''''''' bla -bla bla--'''-""-'""''""''bla some more" ---' ---10 minutes later, I have no clue what that first and second word was in the 10 second conversation. Yes, my hearing loss is at the frequency of the female voice.
Some days, I think I should turn the volume down - finnaly getting new hearing aids - government produced difficulty - only certain approved suppliers- changed in 2022 - Starky yea.
OK - Back on Track!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got to say there are some really strange responses on this thread. Usually people are happy to answer straight-forward questions. I'm guessing the OP previously posted something that upset jdrocks and onewizard :).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Got to say there are some really strange responses on this thread. Usually people are happy to answer straight-forward questions. I'm guessing the OP previously posted something that upset jdrocks and onewizard :).
maybe folks get tired of being some inmate's search bot bitch. i said the OP's requested information could be found in ten seconds, that's from a standing start, but then i don't have a very fast connection.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
My post #6 was actual measurement on my 2015-to make it useful I would need to measure bar end weight to bar end weight. However, the OP should look a lot closer, there is a guide below for the clutch cable and the wiring harness, going too far could damage both.

You need to look deeper,--- a simple what did you say of a 10 second conversation can extend into 30 minutes- after 30 minutes I still have no clue what she said- and by this 30 minutes - neither does she.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts