Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sun is out and the roads are mostly clear of sand (but not always!). I took the new Versys up the twisties on Swan Mountain Rd yesterday and went to the top of Hoosier Pass (Colorado Hwy 9) today. There's still plenty of snow off the road but temperatures were perfect and the scenery outstanding.

Swan Mountain

Hoosier Pass

Maybe these aren't the best rides to take during the break-in period but I couldn't resist!

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Over 11,000 feet? Ain't no air up there. Any noticeable fueling issues as you change in elevation? I drove a rental car up Mt. Evans once and it seemed like it was down to 20 hp by the time I got to the top.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over 11,000 feet? Ain't no air up there. Any noticeable fueling issues as you change in elevation? I drove a rental car up Mt. Evans once and it seemed like it was down to 20 hp by the time I got to the top.
Well, I was out of breath but the bike seemed fine. The road is so twisty and you must go pretty slow so it's hard to tell if there is much power loss.

What a difference fuel injection makes.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Well, I was out of breath but the bike seemed fine. The road is so twisty and you must go pretty slow so it's hard to tell if there is much power loss.

What a difference fuel injection makes.
When I rode up Beartooth Pass last summer

it ran FINE (but I didn't QUITE get to 11,000'...:grin2:...). NO fueling issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A college friend of mine was from La Paz Bolivia. La Paz is at roughly 11,000-12,000 ft elevation and it's in a valley! Even stranger is they love to play soccer. Soccer? I would have trouble just walking around.

Back to a little more on topic...
How far are these passes from Denver? Are they easy day rides or are you riding from a local town (Breckenridge?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A college friend of mine was from La Paz Bolivia. La Paz is at roughly 11,000-12,000 ft elevation and it's in a valley! Even stranger is they love to play soccer. Soccer? I would have trouble just walking around.

Back to a little more on topic...
How far are these passes from Denver? Are they easy day rides or are you riding from a local town (Breckenridge?)
They are all less than 100 mile one way. A nice round trip is US 285 to Hoosier Pass and back on I70 or, in summer, on unpaved Boreas Pass.

I'm starting from Breckenridge so easy rides for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I make an annual pilgrimage ride up Mt Evans, there's plenty of power in the bike all the way up to the top. I know there is some power loss, but it will go faster than the road allows in a lot of places. A lack of guard rails and exposure to long dropoffs adds to the excitement :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An excellent day for a ride in Summit County, Colorado. I went over Swan Mountain with a stop at Saphire Point and then on to Montezuma, a small town near Keystone ski area.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts