Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this weekend marks my 2nd week owning a 2011 V650 and I need to know if my observations are normal or not. Bike has about 6500 miles or more.

* Tolerable vibrations thru handlebar make mirrors virtually unusable above 30 MPH
* Erratic high idle during warm up. Goes away once idled down.
* Can hear valve train. Although this is my first parallel twin. Uncertain if normal or not.

Other than those, bike has good power and pulls well. Starts right up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, this weekend marks my 2nd week owning a 2011 V650 and I need to know if my observations are normal or not. Bike has about 6500 miles or more.

* Tolerable vibrations thru handlebar make mirrors virtually unusable above 30 MPH
* Can hear valve train. Although this is my first parallel twin. Uncertain if normal or not.

Thanks!
Sounds like my bikes character.
I would not worry, mine has 14,000 miles and counting.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Welcome aboard. I replaced the original mirrors with KTM Super Duke mirrors a couple of years ago and love them. They're stable and vibration-free throughout the rev range - and I can actually see behind myself. Not a bad thing for rear view mirrors. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My 2011 with 20k+ same same...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
im on a 08 with 36k
that much vibe seams a bit odd id tighten up your mirrors mounts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
2012 with over 21,000 miles on it. Replace the factory mirror with Aprilla units and be happy. The noise...you'll get use to it by 10,000 miles! :D

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

Thanks!
No, no and no.

Having said that I do have the Motowerk anti vibration handlebar risers.
All bikes idle a bit high when cold, mine is certainly not erratic. Maybe yours needs a tune?
In relation to the valve train noise hows your oil?

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
idling is around 1600rpm during warm up phase and drops to 1300rpm.

check tuning is its erratic.:goodluck:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, no and no.

Having said that I do have the Motowerk anti vibration handlebar risers.
All bikes idle a bit high when cold, mine is certainly not erratic. Maybe yours needs a tune?
In relation to the valve train noise hows your oil?
Oil should be new as of 2 weeks ago.

What kind of tune are we talking about here? Spark plugs? Sync'ing the TB's? Last refuel, I calculated 46.8 MPG. There is no way this bike is going to a shop. It'll be gone for the rest of the riding season here.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one stock and one aftermarket mirror (looks similar) and I can see well from both when riding 120 km/h. They shouldn't vibrate much at lower speeds unless you are riding with very high revs.

But is it just mine or is anyone else having little bit of constant jerking at around 3500 rpm? A little less or more revs and it pulls smoothly but there is very noticable area of couple of hundred revs when it feels jerky.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks!
Same, Around 1600rpm when cold, Hell yeah!

I cant use my mirrors. Still I have almost no vibes thru my handlebars. Weard huh!

As everyone says, a bit higher rpm when cold is normal.

My valve train sounds very bad in my ears. But ppl say that its normal and that it can in fact be the injectors?! I don't know but it annoys me to the point were I have started wearing earplugs. :mad:
I'm very sensitive to metallic sounds in engines and the Versys engine sounds very metallic. I just have to deal with it :)
It runs perfect tho -09 14000km

//Gargo

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have one stock and one aftermarket mirror (looks similar) and I can see well from both when riding 120 km/h. They shouldn't vibrate much at lower speeds unless you are riding with very high revs.

But is it just mine or is anyone else having little bit of constant jerking at around 3500 rpm? A little less or more revs and it pulls smoothly but there is very noticable area of couple of hundred revs when it feels jerky.
Mine surges a little around that same rpm...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
2012 with over 21,000 miles on it. Replace the factory mirror with Aprilla units and be happy. The noise...you'll get use to it by 10,000 miles! :D
How much were those? BMW F650 riders used to get Aprila mirrors too. Aprilia sounds expensive.

With my controls setup, I don't get any mirror vibes except on downtown LA expressway wrinkled concrete slabs AND going directly in the wind (the wind is usually going one or the other direction with 15 lane expressways) :-o

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
How much were those? BMW F650 riders used to get Aprila mirrors too. Aprilia sounds expensive.

With my controls setup, I don't get any mirror vibes except on downtown LA expressway wrinkled concrete slabs AND going directly in the wind (the wind is usually going one or the other direction with 15 lane expressways) :-o
I paid about $56 a pair.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounds normal.

1. Well I ride above thatbspeed range most of the time so no vibes in the mirror
2. Once the bike is warmed, it stays steady below 1.5k rpm
3. Noisy valve train is normal for all Kawasaki inline twins

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spent some time with the bike today. I finally got a pair of well nuts moved to raise the stock windscreen some. Hopefully, it'll move the wind to my forehead. It's hitting me right in the face atm and my helmet does a great job of amplifying the wind noise.

Something else I found out: my rear shock is on the softest pre-load setting. Not good for a 220 pound rider... Anyways, I tried using the supplied spanner wrench to no avail. The darn thing just won't bite and hang on. I'm gonna get a better one tomorrow. IF I can't find anything local, anyone have a suggestion?

Thx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts