Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing some noise while slowing down or while I'm driving, its pretty prominent when I speed up and then slow down. Sound much like an airplane landing and hitting the breaks, like an air suctions sound.

It was a slight sound before, but recently i took it out for cool 500km ride the noise got louder as i got back home, any thoughts on the noise?

My versys just recently hit 20,000 km recently change the coolant and will change the oil sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
Check for any lose fitting , cowlings and also front brakes. Worth checking your chain too. keep posted.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
You can do the above test as per ambientMoto kind advice , but please make sure the bike is fully and well secured before engaging any drive gears and make sure of back wheel clearance. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your description of an air rushing kind of sound seems like, well, an air rushing sound. I would suspect an air leak. If the bike is running normally then it would be prior to the throttles, so perhaps the connection to the air filter.

The location of the source can be really hard to pinpoint while riding. It can sound like one place but it is somewhere totally different.

How speed dependent is it? Is the sound the same regardless of how fast you're going? Or is it engine speed dependent rather than wheel speed dependent? If wheel speed related, then it would be a wheel (bearing, brake) or chain, or transmission. If engine speed related, it would be air intake, transmission, or exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your description of an air rushing kind of sound seems like, well, an air rushing sound. I would suspect an air leak. If the bike is running normally then it would be prior to the throttles, so perhaps the connection to the air filter.

The location of the source can be really hard to pinpoint while riding. It can sound like one place but it is somewhere totally different.

How speed dependent is it? Is the sound the same regardless of how fast you're going? Or is it engine speed dependent rather than wheel speed dependent? If wheel speed related, then it would be a wheel (bearing, brake) or chain, or transmission. If engine speed related, it would be air intake, transmission, or exhaust.
yeah definitely while riding.. its really hard to tell, my exhaust is too loud to really pin point where its coming from especially with a helmet on, but I really notice it when I hold down my clutch. The faster I go and hit the clutch the louder the sound is.. not sure if its wheel speed, I put the bike on a paddock stand and hit it all the way to 3rd gear i don't really hear much sound other than the chain sound.

the sound is coming from under the gas tank, so it could be a air intake issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you taken the tank off to look for anything amiss? I'd do what @Fly-Sig suggested and learn if the issue is engine dependent or speed/wheel/chain dependent. Or perhaps there's a leaf or small animal wedged into one of your air intakes? Something that, at low speeds, would present a minimal blockage but at higher speeds might be more of a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you taken the tank off to look for anything amiss? I'd do what @Fly-Sig suggested and learn if the issue is engine dependent or speed/wheel/chain dependent. Or perhaps there's a leaf or small animal wedged into one of your air intakes? Something that, at low speeds, would present a minimal blockage but at higher speeds might be more of a problem.

yeahh ill try checking the tank, thanks for the response!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts