Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Some Folks Don't Get It

8K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  tsunamichop007 
#1 ·
I was speaking to an old friend last night on the phone. So, happens he rides a 2006 FJR1300 (what I just traded in for the V). He tells me, I made a mistake buying the Versys the way I travel. It just is not a big enough bike or motor for me. It does not have enough room for the long haul. Won't be comfortable or be able to pack much.
Now, this rider has never ridden his bike further than Florida to Georgia. He has a 2006 FJR with only 38k miles on it (I had 80K on the same year and I don't commute to work on it). I understand he is taking a long trip out to California next year (trailering to ride a whopping 700 miles up to Banff).
It amazes me how many experts are out their willing to share their expansive knowledge on motorcycles.
I don't think many riders out there have done their homework on the Versys. My opinion is that this bike, when setup correctly, is in it for the long haul. I plan on doing exactly what I've done all along, and that is ride it long distance. It is not a Goldwing, Venture or FJR, I have had them all.
What the V lacks in size and cc, it makes up for in character IMO.
Whew, got that off my chest.

#3 ·
Totally agree. I traded my Honda ST1300 for my Versys, 3 years and 27k miles ago, best decision I ever made-bike wise.

My wife hated the ST, it had a wobble around 55, even when it wasn't windy. In the wind it was horrific, so bad after one trip down Vancouver Island, she refused to sit on it ever again.

I've done numerous multi-thousand trips on the V, with a sheep skin and my Airhawk, its the most comfortable bike I've owned. The long range, (200miles or so), the minimal heat in traffic on hot days ( I ride a lot in SoCal in the winter), plus the way it handles in the twisties, it can't be beaten.

Two up performance is great, even in the Rockies over the highest passes, there is plenty of power with 2 people and motel luggage.

Machog

#4 ·
Totally agree. I traded my Honda ST1300 for my Versys, 3 years and 27k miles ago, best decision I ever made-bike wise.

My wife hated the ST, it had a wobble around 55, even when it wasn't windy. In the wind it was horrific, so bad after one trip down Vancouver Island, she refused to sit on it ever again.Machog
You are fortunate in more ways than you think. The ST1300 has an inherent stability issue at speed that forced european police departments to end use of that bike after several officers were killed. I'd considered one a few years back until I did a little research.

http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/ST wobble.htm

Maybe so, maybe not, but certainly not worth risking perfectly good skin and bone over. Besides they're over-priced (IMHO)

V-Zee

#5 ·
Plenty of folks don't get the Versys, that's true.

Plenty of other folks don't get Harleys or BMWs or Moto Guzzis.

Plenty of other folks don't get motorcycles in general.

Ride what you like.

#49 ·
Ride the bike you like

The Versys (Hardly A Davidson, not even a crusier). Freedom = Ride the bike you like! No more big bikes for me (GL1800, ST1300, Trophy 1200, ST1100, Triumph Rocket III, ZZR1200 etc,) I have had 52 so far. I am done with big heavy bikes. After a 13 hour day in the saddle they tend to fall over when you stop riding! :usa:

#6 ·
From my perspective I feel the V. is the best bang for the buck and a perfect first bike for new riders. A poor man's BMW if you will. It's 1/3 of the price and will do everything the BMW will do. If money wasn't a factor, I would be on a BMW, or DUC.

#8 ·
VZ, yes I understand you!!

That's a very disturbing thread, at least it wasn't just me.

I tried new tires, different pressure settings, balance, weight etc etc, nothing worked.

I went on a US forum and it was suggested I get rid of the trunk box, didn't help. Do a complete re-torque of bike frame-way too much trouble for me, that's when I decided to sell it.

The excessive heat on my right knee was also an issue, even in 'normal' riding temps it was bloody hot. When I rode the ST from SEA to DEN and back, I had some really unpleasant days. Plus crossing the Great Salt Lake, overtaking trucks was a nightmare, or any time it was windy.

Ok, enough already this is a Versys forum:closed:

Machog

#9 ·
got to agree with the majority here
did 8,000 miles in 5 weeks, one up and fully loaded
apart from operator incompetance the bike was fine
never missed a beat, never had a problem, didn't need a sheeepskin buttpad or wahtever...
stock windscreen turned upside down
giviv 346 panniers repalced by Sears Givi knockoffs

the only true limiting factor was me (well if you discount the weather), did some 500+ days, one 100+ day, averaged around 250..275 a day

#10 ·
I just sold my concours 14 and bought a Versys. Prior to the concours was a V-strom that I regret selling to buy the connie. When I sold the concours I was going to buy a 650 wee strom but figured I would always compare it to my 1000 v-strom so I went with a Versys. So far, I'm impressed with the bike but not happy with farkle availabilaty. Maybe that's a good thing considering I had over 6k in add ons on the strom. I can just buy an extra versys with the money I save

#11 ·
It's a psychological limitation mankind has - bigger = better. It just has to in many people's minds. I was going to say it's a problem we have mostly in the US, but even on non-US based forums I see the same thing. "I need to move up to something bigger (and implicitly - better)".

Some people get over it, some don't. It's hard to convince people to change their preconceptions. They have to experience it on their own to see that it isn't as black and white as they have grown to believe. It's almost as bad as the oil of choice... :D

Gustavo

#12 ·
in addition to what Gustavo mentioned, the other issue here is the fact that both you and your bud had FJRs. your love affair the V after so many miles on an FJR would seem to indicate that he made a poor choice with his bike selection. no one wants to believe such a thing after pouring heart and soul and man-hours into their decision. not everyone will admit to a poor choice on a major investment, better to sink with the ship and declare victory from Davy Jones' locker.

that's part of the reason people here always tell the curious visitors that the V is the perfect bike for them, when sometimes (sometimes!) it may not be the best option.

that's human nature.

#13 ·
Well, I am not taking anything away from the FJR. I travel heavily loaded most of the time. I carry gear for two people, on the road for 2 to 3 weeks every summer. The FJR motor was tight at 80k, but it needed a new rear shock, front springs, clutch plates were getting worn and steering head bearing needed to be replaced. That's pretty much normal wear and tear for a bike that has been traveled as much. I never had any trouble with the bike over those miles (other than a warrenty recall on the ignition switch). It is a fantastic motorcycle!
The cost factor and my age helped me make the decision to buy the Versys. I'm 58 and want to retire in a few years so I need to stay debt free. I did plenty of research, and in fact joined this forum in 2008 to study what riders were saying about the bike. I like what I have read. I only bought the bike in June.
My point was just that some people are too free with their opinions when they don't know squat.

#14 ·
:DI am always free with opinions, and don't know squat. I get a mix of curiosity and bewilderment from my Harley/Goldwing friends. I think most of them think the Versys is ok, if you can't have what they ride. The Versys is a great bike that gets little respect in my neck of the woods. That is ok, I have the only one around here, at least that I have seen. I like to have something nobody else has.:thumb:

#20 ·
The Versys is a great bike that gets little respect in my neck of the woods.
Sorry to hear that, Element. I have had my V for about a month now, and so far, it has received nothing but admiration from other bikers -- including owners of HD, Ducati and BMW, as well as other Japanese makes. Non-bikers have given it lots of compliments as well.

I must admit that the green seems to be a plus. :D

#18 · (Edited)
I met a guy at Moonshine this year who rode his KLR650 from Key West to San Diego to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Goose Bay, Newfoundland and back to Key West in 16 days. I doubt I've traveled that far in a plane in 16 days!

#21 ·
My opinion is that this bike, when setup correctly, is in it for the long haul. I plan on doing exactly what I've done all along, and that is ride it long distance. What the V lacks in size and cc, it makes up for in character IMO
Lets keep this a secret.

Since I put the Russell Saddle on mine it is incredibly suited for LD duties. It has plenty of capacity to carry stuff. It has plenty of passing capability.

Last night I did 442 miles in the dark and even the head light on low is as good as lighting systems I have configured for other LD rides. Flip on the high beams and the little critters on the side of the road are well illuminated.

#34 ·
Versys Originality (Maybe)

I'm not saying the Versys is the first of it's kind, but after quoting myself in the above statement, I had the chance to read the new issue of Cycle World. On pages 10 and 11 are pics of possible bikes for the US in 2011 by Yamaha (TDM1200). They currently have a 900cc in Europe only. Triumph is using the Tiger and using the 675cc, stroking it up to 825cc. Both of these bikes look very similar to the Versys in design. Bigger displacement motors but smaller than their bigger brothers first design. Small is becoming big!
When thinking about where this design came from, I guess Suzuki, BMW and KTM all had dual sport bikes first, but not quite like the V.

Attachments

#23 ·
I was thinking I might like a F800ST, or a F650GS. Probably get bored with them real fast. Quite a bit more money though. Would still like to try out the F800ST.

The V is a blast to ride. Much more so than the DL1000 big 'strom I had a few years back. They ride similar though, just the versys is a lot more nimble.
Had a SV650S before that, was a neat little bike too, with quite a cult following. But the low bars gave me aching wrists, so I went with the big strom with visions of riding to the end of Baja with it. Never got to do that though. :(

I really like the Ducati's, but shrink to the anticipated maintenance cost and effort, not to mention just the cost for buy-in.

Yeah, for the most part I don't think people really get it. It made sense to me, that's why I bought one! :D

#25 ·
The V is a blast to ride. Much more so than the DL1000 big 'strom I had a few years back. They ride similar though, just the versys is a lot more nimble.

I was wondering about the big strom. I rode one a few years ago but only for a mile or so. Was wondering about trading up for one?

#24 ·
In 2008 I rode a Honda VTX 1800 to Alaska.
In 2011 I will ride a Versys up there again.
I "garuntee" next year's trip will be sheer delight.
This lil red bike will take anything I can give it.
I drive it like I'm mad at it and she likes it!
I have been on bikes for almost 40 years.
This one is a keeper,,,,,,,

#31 ·
All sorts of sentiments upon which to weigh in. Where to begin?

Sometimes bigger is better. The Versys is certainly superior by an order of magnitude to my Virago 250. The people that will say a 650 isn't enough for big miles are right. For them. There's a good chance they've tried it, and are on big-inch machines for that reason. I won't deny having a slight itch for a bit more juice when my fiance's on the back.

I too had considered the Wee-Strom, but the V fit better, was a MUCH better deal at the time, and came in a far prettier color. All the Suzuki had last year was that drab grey. There's so much good press about the Suzuki 650 twin that it was still a tough call. Money talked in the end.

I'm also with Element. Don't know squat either, but fling my opinions for miles!

#33 ·
7 harleys, 2 BMW's,3 Hinckley Triumphs,3 Royal Enfields (yeah, I know) and at least a dozen different Japanese bikes over the past 30 years or so....My 08 Versys does so many different duties. Commuter, Weekend carver, long haul mule, and grocery getter. Two years later and I still grin when I flog it through the twisties and blast down the slab. Best one so far and no plans to get rid of it. :clap:

#35 ·
Too many people go with a certain brand of bike,cell phone,car etc. just to be a part of the group and don't have the guts to be be themselves. I've had lots of different bikes but the v is the one i've enjoyed the most. Didn't even know about it when i went to the dealership to check out a KLR for a commuter. Been on long hauls and its my everyday ride handles everything i need well. At first i thought a 650 just wouldn't be enough since i'm not a lightweight guy but again the bike handles it well. When i meet up with someone on thier bike the main focus winds up on the v. I've always followed my own path and will ride down that path on my Versys

#37 ·
I commute 60 miles a day every day, ride about 10,000 miles a year on the Versys since 2008 and have made several multiple 1000 mile trips. My Versys is set up for touring, three bags, Baldwin seat, peg lowering, adjustable screen, extra front/rear lighting, heated grips and cruise control to name just a few touring items, the bike tours well but it far from an uber comfortable touring bike.

For a cross country trip I would much prefer an RT, the wind and weather protection on the Versys is very very lacking, the high RPM nature of the bike while fun is also a downside when you much be on the slab for any extensive time and no matter what you do, the Versys is in its element on 45 - 55 MPH secondary roads, it is not a mile muncher which is needed to tour long distances in short time periods.

That said, for the money, as a light touring bike which can go the distance and commute it is hard to beat, but to consider it in the same class for touring as an FJR, RT, ST1300 would be a mistake IMHO, those bikes are mile munchers.

#39 ·
My problem is that I think smaller is better. If I could find a comfortable skateboard with about 70hp, saddlebags, trunk, and lots of farkles available for it then I would buy in a minute. Hummmmm, that almost sounds like a V doesn't it. (well -10 hp anyway)

#40 · (Edited)
Hi, Thumper, I was on a similar track in my thinking when I got the V. Reasonable cost, easy to maintain, great for long hauls, plenty of farkles available and light and agile like a bike should be. The beemer was fine but topheavy and a load to move around the garage. And pricey to maintain. One of these days when it cools off a bit we'll have to ride someplace and meet for lunch. David.

#41 ·
Speaking of Long Hauls, you just returned from a pretty long trip on the V. How did the trip go? I followed you on the tracking system until you got to Michigan. Looked like you stayed there for a spell.
Did the bike handle good for the long haul?
Lunch sounds great! A couple of months and we will be in great riding weather down here. Glad your back safe man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.