Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a problem with the speedo bouncing up and down a couple of MPH while checking the VSS I found my chain was on it's last legs So I order a EK 520-SRX. 16t front sprocket I had already. Got a hold a friend and went over to his house to use his new compressor and impact gun today to get the nut off, zipped right off, I was worried after reading all the stories here. When I cut the OEM chain off I was amazed how bad it was. There were two runs of 10-15 link that were all tight and tight links all over the place. Yes I did clean it and lubed it with chain wax weekly. I pulled the front sprocket off and after a bunch of fiddling around got the 16t on. I then dropped the rear wheel and flipped the rear sprocket. After installing and adjusting the chain I went for a ride. First thing I noticed was the bike was much smoother. Second thing was the speedo was "Fixed"! Steady as a rock again! I guess the chain was so bad that it was messing up the pulse the VSS looks for? I know it's only about a 500 rpm drop but the bike seems more relaxed at 65-70 MPH cruising. I have a 44t rear I can install but think I'm going to send it back and get some other goodies! I worry that it might drop the revs just out of the the fat part of power band as I'm just over 5,000 at 65 mph now. I did that on the KLR by putting a 16t on the front and drop 3t off the rear. I had to "Row To Box" to get up hills I could just power up before. Lesson learned.

I have the same EK 520-SRX chain on my KLR and it's got over 22,000 miles on it and still going strong The DID on the Versys had a bit over 19,000 when it started giving me fits. The only thing I don't like is the EK ships with a clip type master link so you have to order a rivet master link extra.

I am going to look at a different type of lube as the wax makes a big mess that's big pain to clean up.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know and I never have a had a problem with one BUT I have the chain press and would rather use a rivet type now if I can.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How does a digital speedometer bounce? Does it flash from 50 - 60 mph? I just replaced a toasted chain this spring, and had nothing like what you are describing.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It's likely an electrical problem, caused by a poor or dirty connection at the speed sensor... Was there much metal shavings on the speed sensor?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Typically you feel that creepy pulse at 40-45 mph and that is an easy clue that the chain has some spots that are no longer "flexy".

I was going to say "stiff spots" but figured you's guys would be all over that.

:D

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts