Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short-time lurker, first time poster. This community seems pretty helpful, so I figured I'd throw this out there and see what comes back!

Got my X300 new about a month and a half ago, already put 4200 miles on it putzing around the Green Mountains and a long haul from RI to GA via Blue Ridge Parkway. I love this bike so far, even though I came from a Duke 690. One might say this is a much safer choice for me (I'm super aggressive in high-speed-traffic situations).

Anywho, I've run into my first oddity with it that I can't seem to sort out on my own, and all the service dealers in my current area (Montgomery, AL) are backed up by a month+ and not even willing to help me over the phone... so here I am with you wonderful people.

I should note that I have installed the Booster Plug, which sits inline with the Air Temp sensor. I'm pretty sure the answer lies somewhere in this area, but where exactly I'm not sure. I started getting the engine light after I washed my bike, so I have a feeling something got shorted out while rinsing it off. The fault code that shows up is 13, which according to the service manuals I've been able to find online says that this is the Intake Air Temp Sensor ("Intake air temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.").

First, I do not notice any difference in the way the bike performs. It accelerates fine, revs like usual, and as far as I can tell I haven't lost any power at all. This is the only vehicle I have to get around on besides my converted bus, so I ride it a lot and have a pretty good feel for it. Because of this, I'm wondering if it's simply a diagnostic fault and clearing the code may just be all that's needed.

The first troubleshooting step I tried was to run the extensive procedure from the service manual to clear the codes. However, I ran the steps 4 or 5 times and the light is still on. So, either I am not doing it correctly or there's actually a problem with the sensor. I've done the steps with the booster plug still inline after reseating all the plugs, but am about to dive in and run the procedure without the booster plug today to see what happens. I did quickly disable the booster plug and crank the engine yesterday, but the light was still on. I'm not sure if that's a valid enough test, though, since the code might need to be cleared first.

Beyond that, or spending potentially a ton of money for nothing and waiting for weeks at a dealer, I'm a little lost. If anyone has tips for clearing the code more easily, or other troubleshooting I could try, that would be awesome and much appreciated!

Has anyone else had something similar happen?

For reference, this the procedure I've run to clear the codes (it's been posted on these forums a few times):
  1. Turn on the ignition and start the engine.
  2. Keep the idling more than 30 seconds.
  3. Run the bike for more than 5 minutes at a speed of 25 mph or more.
  4. Stop. Turn the ignition switch off.
  5. Repeat the above procedures 3 times.
I usually hit 45-60mph for 6 minutes, and idle the engine for 40s to be sure.

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just ran the code clearing procedure again, with the booster plug disabled/disconnected, but I still have the engine light on with code 13 unfortunately.

EDIT: I'm probably going to leave the booster plug disabled, as I didn't really notice much of a difference at all in acceleration while riding around town 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just ran the code clearing procedure again, with the booster plug disabled/disconnected, but I still have the engine light on with code 13 unfortunately.

EDIT: I'm probably going to leave the booster plug disabled, as I didn't really notice much of a difference at all in acceleration while riding around town 🤷‍♂️
Found this on the Ninja 400 forum, read the whole page. Hope it works. Clearing error/fault codes

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found this on the Ninja 400 forum, read the whole page. Hope it works. Clearing error/fault codes
Thanks HKSY! That was one of the posts I ran into while searching initially. On my ride today I tried to keep the bike above 25mph for 11 minutes after a 40s idle and did steps 1-4, 5 times. Luckily I'm close to a state highway, so it's not too hard to keep up the speed continuously.

EDIT: trying to avoid the ODB electronic stuff mentioned in that thread. I'm hoping someone at a local dealer will eventually agree to just clear the code for me with KDS so I can confirm that it was cleared at least. If the light comes back, then I know there's for sure a problem.

Going to set a reminder to disconnect the battery tonight and see what happens (y)

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Have you done anything to change the OEM sprocket-gearing? (That seems to be a constant "error-code" thrower.)

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you done anything to change the OEM sprocket-gearing? (That seems to be a constant "error-code" thrower.)
I haven't, the only error code that shows up for me is 13.

I have the sprocket parts in my box, but have been hesitant to install for that exact reason; so many forum posts! I also really like the stock gearing, not sure what people are on about with it, but I guess I don't have a comparison so I can't knock it.

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try disconnecting the battery over night.
Left disconnected overnight, but still got the code. Talked to a service manager today at the local dealer and they're going to let me use the KDS system to clear the code on Saturday at least 🤞

·
Registered
2020 Versys X300 ABS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... it seems that maybe leaving the battery disconnected overnight did do something. I ran the procedure again like I did yesterday, but this time on the 4th engine start the light went away!

I've started it a few more times, and so far so good. What a strange thing :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts