Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Sold my '09 Green Versys and bought a '10 BMW R 1200 GS. I enjoy this forum and intend to continue to watch.

I have included a couple of pics of my new bike. :yeahsmile: Here's a good link for a bike review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/2010-bmw-r-1200-gs/

A few of my new bike's features:

ABS with semi-integral braking (handle bar lever applies front & back)
ESA (electronic suspension adjustment (5 varieties X 3 levels)
ASC (Automatic Stability Control)
1170 cc's delivering up to 110 HP and 88 lb-ft of torque
Heated grips with hand protectors
Solid handling
Great seat
Great windshield
Great vibration-free mirrors
Stainless steel brake lines
Drive shaft power delivery (no chain)
Only 50 lb heavier then Versys (wet weight)
3 year warranty

Some little stuff but nice to have:
TPM (tire pressure measurement)
Outside temp. gauge
Center stand

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Good luck with the new machine.
You have pretty much climbed the letter as far as luxury and performance goes.

When you get a chance, tell us how it compares to the Versys (beside the obviouse).

Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. I admit that I'd love to own that bike but first on the Bike World's list of improvements on the new model is: Electronically controlled exhaust flap for a "more muscular sound." What?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very nice ride surferbum. Enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been intrigued by the GS's, my only question is how you get hardbags on the exhaust side. I would consider that bike my next step ( if there is ever going to be one ) but I would want to be able to use my existing Givi cases on it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been intrigued by the GS's, my only question is how you get hardbags on the exhaust side. I would consider that bike my next step ( if there is ever going to be one ) but I would want to be able to use my existing Givi cases on it.
Touratech

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hardbags on the 1200 GS. Now that's a good question. I had Givi V35's on my Versys and was very happy with them. I liked their look and used SWMotech racks. Didn't research much but with the BMW 1200 GS, I have spent a few (too many) hours.
The short answer to your question is that there are bike-specific racks for the bike which solve the exhaust issue. These typically entail having the left rack designed around the exhaust and for symmetry purpose the left hardbag is a smaller capacity than the right (e.g., 38L & 45L). I won't hold too much hope in using the same hardbags.
I still haven't decided what to do. The bike had BMW Saddle Bag Mounts from the factory. The universe of fabric bags vs. leather bags vs. Al. hardcase vs. steel hard cases vs plactic/metal hardcase. Well your head start spinning. :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
nice upgrade .you will miss the flexibility and the v character though.if i went for bmw i would look the smaller 800gs .Wish you Safe endless rides .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how you like the 1200 GS as well. That's always been a dream bike of mine. We visited the BMW dealership, where I drooled over a 1200 and looked semi-seriously at an 800 GS. My fantastic wife suggested I try something a little less expensive to see if I liked the adventure touring style of motorcycle.

Now I'm the happy owner of a Versys which will be perfect for everything I want to do, but I still do like the idea of a 1200 GS someday. I'm looking at H&B luggage that might be easier to move to a another motorcycle down the road rather than the V35s which really do look good on the Versys.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, it sure is a looker! When you get some miles on it, please do give us a comparison between the two!

Cheers, and safe riding!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts