Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, so well, I have a question about soft luggage. I searched the forum and found some on this but not the answers I am looking for. What I would like to know is what this best soft luggage for the money. I know alot of you have the Givi soft side bags, and they appear to be nice, but I would like to know if they work the best. Also, and probably more importantly, do you need some sort of rack to strap them too and if so, is there some universal rack that mounts right on the versys? I am new to the Versys as I just bought a 2012 two weeks ago. Thanks in advance for any input on this.

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
I have a set of Fieldsheer bags i like but they no longer make them. But the best looking bags i've seen on the V and they seem to sit on the bike like they have a support are the Nelson-Riggs bags

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out Revpack luggage. They've been around for about 40 years, and I've been using them for 30 years without any problems at all. revpack.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
I may be slightly biased because I sell them, but Chase Harper makes nice soft luggage. Made in the USA and Lifetime Warranty.

When I needed a tail bag to carry my stuff on my daily commute to work, I chose the CH Sport Trek bag and it's worked out really well. With the built in bungees, I can easily use it on my Versys or my Sportster. Definately well made gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the looks of the Nelson Riggs side bags but what do I use for a side rack or bracket to secure them with?

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
I like the looks of the Nelson Riggs side bags but what do I use for a side rack or bracket to secure them with?

Don't need one..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had the Nelson Rigs for 4 years has have received great service from them. My only beef is the black has faded to gray.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey there, so well, I have a question about soft luggage. I searched the forum and found some on this but not the answers I am looking for. What I would like to know is what this best soft luggage for the money.

. Also, and probably more importantly, do you need some sort of rack to strap them too .
The best for me is the Giant Loop Great Basin model. The Great Basin is the largest model but they make a couple of smaller, similar styles, depending on what you use them for.

Made in Bend, Or, mine shipped immediately and had it in my hands in 48 hrs.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection

Very well made and hold a bunch of stuff, best of all no racks required, set them on the seat and they strap very securely to existing hardware.

Of course you don't have to fill them up, I often just carry a few essentials in the pannier portions and fold the top flat. Quick and easy on and off, very happy with the GL if you can't tell:)

There are a bunch of pics of mine in these threads:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15297

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16454

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rock Solid, very nice looking and functional bag. I may look into to one of those at some point. I went ahead and ordered a cheaper Nelson Rigg set for the time being. Just need to have something to store small stuff on daily commutes and rides. I noticed you have a few mods. I am brand new to the Versys so curious what you would consider essential mods. Thanks and great pics. I love the high cascades, beautiful country.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Rock Solid, very nice looking and functional bag. I may look into to one of those at some point. I went ahead and ordered a cheaper Nelson Rigg set for the time being. Just need to have something to store small stuff on daily commutes and rides. I noticed you have a few mods. I am brand new to the Versys so curious what you would consider essential mods. Thanks and great pics. I love the high cascades, beautiful country.
Most welcome for the suggestions and thanks for the compliment.

I guess essential mods depends on whether you plan on sticking to pavement or plan on riding unpaved roads, too.

For me, for street only, making the seat comfortable is about it. I have been altering the foam in motorsickle seats for a while now and got the Versys seat to a very happy place (also did the front lift suggested by many here).
I also feel adding extra rear lights is a good thing. All my bikes get Hyperlite 3 way LEDs.
http://www.hyperlites.com/

If you're going to do a little gravel road exploring, it's probably a good idea to add handguards and crash bars. Mine has been on its side 3 times and I've gotten away with zero damage each time (very low speed drops, all).

Figure out how to carry your crap and run the wheels off it:thumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I may be slightly biased because I sell them, but Chase Harper makes nice soft luggage. Made in the USA and Lifetime Warranty.

When I needed a tail bag to carry my stuff on my daily commute to work, I chose the CH Sport Trek bag and it's worked out really well. With the built in bungees, I can easily use it on my Versys or my Sportster. Definately well made gear.
Wouldn't trade my Chase Harpers for anything. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts