Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this will be my first winter riding, and I intend to ride through the entirety of it due to both using my bike as primary transportation for work and life in general, as well as my unwillingness to pay for proper storage. Question is, what's the best gear for staying both warm and safe?

I've already committed to two high quality snowmobiling-style jackets (one with built-in puffer layer etc) and they've worked great so far when temps have hit 40's and below, the only downside being they don't have built-in armor (which I plan to solve with an armored flannel undershirt). But now I'm finding myself wanting something like this to serve as a gore-tex, windproof solution for my legs, even though I already have basic waterproof overpants that have, for the most part, kept me warm and dry enough with layering underneath (albiet ugly as hell).

Does anyone else use snowmobiling style gear for motorcycling? Is my sudden desire for some badass overalls to match my Hi-vis jacket unnecessary given what I already have? DO I REALLY NEED A KLIM LOGO ON ALL MY CLOTHES TO FEEL PREPARED??? (clearly yes)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a Alberta style snowmobile neck-face muffler in my on the road kit and on hand for extreme cold. Also i have some real merino wool long johns. With wind protective shell this is a great bottom layer. Add other thin tight fitting layers as needed under your shells and a heated Blackjack vest(very handy as a small carry around addition), heated grips....Wish I had gotten the heated seat option on my Sargent seat!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wear whatever keeps you from freezing your A** off. I used to wear my ski pants quite often when living up in the Northwest. Between that and some good long underwear from REI. I was pretty darn comfortable riding in the 30’s on my cruiser. I should have gotten rid of the Arlen Ness Chrome Grips. But I didn’t say, I had them smarts, real good! Be the Klim poster child. Or buy yourself some nice heated gear to keep you warm. I found a flask also kept me warm on those chilly rides. Rumor has it.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Well I hear that a frozen road is not as abrasive as a hot road. Just like a wet road reduces the friction. :rolleyes:

Wear what makes you feel comfortable and safe. Personally, I went with heated gear to keep me warm while riding. Before I bought heated gear I felt like I was more vulnerable because my movements were hindered by the bulk of the winter clothes.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Well I hear that a frozen road is not as abrasive as a hot road. Just like a wet road reduces the friction. :rolleyes:

When I "high-sided" while ice-racing (a LONG time ago...;)), I rather enjoyed sliding along the ice on my back, ESPECIALLY as I could see my Yamaha TT500 coming after me in a cloud of ice-particles, and I was going a bit FASTER (and FURTHER)!

(y)(y)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used electric gloves (because I didn't have heated grips). most of the rest of my outfit was standard winter gear for AK. get a neck gaiter or better yet, a thin pullover mask that covers the top of your head, cheeks, and neck. you will also want a heated face shield because they fog up. we studded our tires with 12mm automotive studs (on TKC80s) but that takes drilling and a stud gun. there are some screw in studs out there now that get good reviews

Reactions: daveed212

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
When I ice-raced (MANY years ago!) we just put machine-screws into the knobs of our tires, altho' I can't comment on the pattern we used, as I forget what it was, tho' it WAS important!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a ton more but they are being held hostage by photobucket. f**k them

·
Registered
244 Posts
So this will be my first winter riding, and I intend to ride through the entirety of it due to both using my bike as primary transportation for work and life in general, as well as my unwillingness to pay for proper storage. Question is, what's the best gear for staying both warm and safe?

I've already committed to two high quality snowmobiling-style jackets (one with built-in puffer layer etc) and they've worked great so far when temps have hit 40's and below, the only downside being they don't have built-in armor (which I plan to solve with an armored flannel undershirt). But now I'm finding myself wanting something like this to serve as a gore-tex, windproof solution for my legs, even though I already have basic waterproof overpants that have, for the most part, kept me warm and dry enough with layering underneath (albiet ugly as hell).

Does anyone else use snowmobiling style gear for motorcycling? Is my sudden desire for some badass overalls to match my Hi-vis jacket unnecessary given what I already have? DO I REALLY NEED A KLIM LOGO ON ALL MY CLOTHES TO FEEL PREPARED??? (clearly yes)
where do you live? how long will you ride? i've never had any heated gear. i've wished i had it a few times. i have good spidi gear. also some macna stuff. layers and hand guards, baklavas, good gloves (many) has kept me good for 40+ each way commutes in the sf bay area. high 20's occasionally, 30-50 often. rain when it comes. 20-30k per year. use what works for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts