Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am new here.
I did buy big tank bag (Givi UT810 TANKLOCKED), so I can`t see full dashboard on my Kawasaki Versys 650. So I did make bluetooth smartphone application - dashboard of my bike. I did use microchip Atmel Mega 8 and HC05 bluetooth module. For communication AVR and ECU is used KWP2000 protocol (thanks https://github.com/aster94/Keyword-Pr... and https://github.com/HerrRiebmann/KDS2B...). I did use Arduino library for coding AVR. You can use simultaneously with original dashboard. What works:
  • RPM (read from ECU) - Speed (read from ECU)
  • Gear (read from ECU) - ODO (calculation based on actual speed, you can set starting KM via BT)
  • Fuel status (read via AD convertor on pin original dashboard connector)
  • Air temperature (read from ECU) - Coolant temperature (read from ECU)
  • Battery voltage (read from ECU) - Not visible on video, but, when voltage is lower than 12V, it show battery icon which is switching with value of voltage
  • Lights: left, right turn, high beam, neutral, red warning light, ABS (read from pins on original dashboard connector)
  • DTC light (read trouble codes from ECU, if no code - no light, if any light goes on) All features except DTC was tested and works. DTC was not tested, because my bike has no troubles.
You can see video here:
Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi,
I am new here.
I did buy big tank bag (Givi UT810 TANKLOCKED), so I can`t see full dashboard on my Kawasaki Versys 650. So I did make bluetooth smartphone application - dashboard of my bike. I did use microchip Atmel Mega 8 and HC05 bluetooth module. For communication AVR and ECU is used KWP2000 protocol (thanks https://github.com/aster94/Keyword-Pr... and https://github.com/HerrRiebmann/KDS2B...). I did use Arduino library for coding AVR. You can use simultaneously with original dashboard. What works: - RPM (read from ECU) - Speed (read from ECU) - Gear (read from ECU) - ODO (calculation based on actual speed, you can set starting KM via BT) - Fuel status (read via AD convertor on pin original dashboard connector) - Air temperature (read from ECU) - Coolant temperature (read from ECU) - Lights: left, right turn, high beam, neutral, red warning light, ABS (read from pins on original dashboard connector) - DTC light (read trouble codes from ECU, if no code - no light, if any light goes on) All features except DTC was tested and works. DTC was not tested, because my bike has no troubles.
You can see video here:
Thanks for your comments!
Impressive, you clearly did a lot of work to get it all working. Can battery voltage be read from the ECU? Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Impressive, you clearly did a lot of work to get it all working. Can battery voltage be read from the ECU? Thanks for posting this.
Yes, battery voltage is readed from ECU. Not visible on video, but, when voltage is lower than 12V, it show battery icon which is switching with value of voltage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mario, is your application downloadable from anywhere? Very cool, I don’t get why manufacturers don’t have all of the info available via the 4pin available on the oem dash.
Not now. How I did write (see also comment in youtube) app is under development. But I have not much time to to finish it. The code for android and also AVR is messy, not good. When I will find time to make some corrections, I will put in gitlab or so, and there will be project description, schemas, codes etc. But pls be patient. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
Thanks. But sorry, I not understand what you mean "making it viable for interested parties" - sorry for my english. Can you pls explain? Thanks.
I take it to mean: "making it FREELY AVAILABLE for interested parties", but I COULD BE WRONG...!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay, was out of town a few days. what I meant was , if you could make it easy for other to buy the same unit like plug and play.
No problem, my delays are not short too... I am (for now) not planning to manufacture it. I have no time and capacity for it. But I did start to make description of project (wire diagram, pcb, phone + chip codes, etc...) and share it via gitlab for free + may be some donation. Also may be I will be able to send programed chip, pcb, or so, but not fully finished product.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
No problem, my delays are not short too... I am (for now) not planning to manufacture it. I have no time and capacity for it. But I did start to make description of project (wire diagram, pcb, phone + chip codes, etc...) and share it via gitlab for free + may be some donation. Also may be I will be able to send programed chip, pcb, or so, but not fully finished product.
Understand you position and whatever you can contribute will be good start for anyone wishing to install the program to read ECU in their smart phone. Thanks again for a awesome work done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts