Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding around without the screen and like the clean air a lot. no buffeting and greatly reduced helmet noise..

Is there a small / fly screen for the 2nd gen bike? I don't care for the unfinished look of no windscreen at all....

Sean

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You could cut down the stocker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to work up something..

A MX numberplate and a small bracket i think........

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ive been riding around without the screen and like the clean air a lot. no buffeting and greatly reduced helmet noise..

Is there a small / fly screen for the 2nd gen bike? I don't care for the unfinished look of no windscreen at all....

Sean
Hi Sticky - I'm in the same boat as you and have removed the standard screen. I know what you're after, like me, but I don't think it exists as an aftermarket part. However, if you work something out by fabricating it yourself, please let me have the 'recipe'. I did a similar thing on my DRZ400SM when I removed the standard light and replaced with twin lamps. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Have your tried the stock winscreen mounted upside down yet? You can mount it upside down in its highest position, or lower if you cut the top down. It also looks better that way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have your tried the stock winscreen mounted upside down yet? You can mount it upside down in its highest position, or lower if you cut the top down. It also looks better that way.
Not with the 2nd generation Versys.....:(

I'm thinking of doing something with my little screen, once my GIVI comes. I may chop it right down, and paint it black....or yellow. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Avon distanzia's supermoto compound. Stuck like a bad smell to the road but wore strange under the weight of the V. I'd love to run them all the time but the minister of finance (wife) would't like it too much.:p

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Avon distanzia's supermoto compound. Stuck like a bad smell to the road but wore strange under the weight of the V. I'd love to run them all the time but the minister of finance (wife) would't like it too much.:p
I noticed that on my front Distanzia SM too. It started that strange wear pattern, cupping into rear of treads. Treads are reversed from conventional direction which is usually opposite of rear treads, so I simply rotated the wheel/tire assembly backwards for the rest of tread's life.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Damn, I should have thought of that. I still got em, we'll see. Did you do this for both or just the front? If so, how did the rear feel riding?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cuff - is this your bike and did you make the screen yourself??
Yes to both. Was quite easy to make, I like shop time. ;-) I also made a clear winter screen out of some thicker Lexan I stole from work. The small one has the back side painted with some matt black and some edge trim.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Damn, I should have thought of that. I still got em, we'll see. Did you do this for both or just the front? If so, how did the rear feel riding?
Just the front when there was about 9000 kms (5500 miles) on it... Rear is a Continental TrailAttack 150/70, which is now also available in a front 120/70 by the way. You would have to remove and remount the rear tire backwards to do that, I think.
The combo does feel pretty good, but I plan to get a matching pair with 160/60 rear next year, maybe Metzeler Roadtech Z6 Interact.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I loved the Avon's. The strange wear just didn't sit right with me for some reason. How the hell did you get that kind of miles on the sumo compound? My rear was down to the wear bars in just under 5000klms. The front was down to about half by that time. I would get them again though if I could get the same price I did before, $225 for the pair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finding the lexan was the easy part... sorting out the bracket is another thing. The way the 2nd gen mount is alot different than the 1st gen. I dont want to make some cheap ass looking "L" Brackets...

·
Registered
575 Posts
For me thats the fun of making stuff, figuring it out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just make one. $0.25 worth of plexi.
That looks FANTASTIC.....but I will stick with my V-Stream....it keeps the bugs off my helmet visor.

BTW, How DO you deal with the constant BUG build up???
Inquiring minds want to know.

PS...could you post some alt angle photos please....me likey!:thumb:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks Stagehand, I'll see what I can find for pics. As for the bugs, 'what bugs'? hehe We don't have many in the lower mainland compared to the rest of the free world. I grew up in Winnipeg and I know my bugs. lol

Here's some pictures from a local tag game.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts