Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V has been exhibiting this behavior for a while; it doesn't seem to have any effect on riding/reliability but I thought I'd mention it.

Upon start, my bike doesn't jump up to fast idle. It starts then chugs a bit with a slow idle, around 1000-1100. It gradually creeps up to fast idle, around 2k, then as the engine warms, it settles down into normal idle, 1350 or so. Ambient temp doesn't change this behavior.

Is that slow idle at first start normal, or should it jump up to fast idle immediately? I've checked the simple things, like making sure my air filter is clean; my valves are in spec, my stator output is good. Am I missing something? I'm not well versed in the finer aspects of fuel/air delivery for this bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Used to have something like that happen on one of my Gen 1 V650s, but I can't recall if I 'fixed it' or if it disappeared when my '09 was "written-off". Rode my '08 today and it was normal (at 92,140 miles).

:cool:

(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
During warm up phase it should be on high ref staright away. When was the last service done and spark plug changed. What year is your bike and total mileage done.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Fastoman I just checked / adjusted the valves, and with that service I changed the plugs. All was well with that.
Bike is a 2012 with about 31,000 miles. I've also changed the air filter lately; it was over-oiled but that has been rectified.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Check the air bleed screws are set properly in the TBs. Perform the TB synch procedure as per the book, and make sure that the idle vacum is at the right level.
This can be a reason as to why you have the cold start problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the air bleed screws are set properly in the TBs. Perform the TB synch procedure as per the book, and make sure that the idle vacum is at the right level.
This can be a reason as to why you have the cold start problem.
Ok this is great info. I synced the TB's after doing the valves; the bike ran so much better after but I will check them again AND check the crews/vacuum levels. Thanks:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts