Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is common knowledge that the 2017+ Z650 and Ninja 650 have a factory slipper clutch. Does anyone know if this can be retrofitted onto a Versys? I've seen someone do a retrofit on a FJR (2016+ slipper clutch onto a 2014) and for that bike at least it was nothing more than a simple clutch replacement.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is a rad idea. I imagine the parts are expensive but ya never know, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the specifics can enlighten us all

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I priced it out on an OEM parts site, if you have to buy the entire clutch assembly plus all its ancillary bits, about $350, less if some of the bits off the V 650 can be reused.

That is a lot better than the $800 a typical slipper clutch costs for the Ninja 650, or $650 for a Rekluse auto-clutch.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I spent too many years mastering blip downshifts to throw it all out the window now. :^) Naw, just kidding, for $350 I just might do it, but not before the original clutch needs attention.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
This is a completely do-able project, someone do it I might do this one when the current clutch fails.
Don't hold your breath waiting - I have almost 90,000 miles on my '08 and the clutch feels as good as it was when it was new!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Worn Out Clutch / NAW

I spent too many years mastering blip downshifts to throw it all out the window now. :^) Naw, just kidding, for $350 I just might do it, but not before the original clutch needs attention.
:funnypost:
Don't hold your breath waiting - I have almost 90,000 miles on my '08 and the clutch feels as good as it was when it was new!

:thumb: - :thumb:
Yes, unless you are new to riding or never adjusted your clutch cable and revving the motor causes the clutch to slip, don't expect to have it wear out. There are members on here with over 100,000 Miles on the original clutch. Once I get my :hia::stickpoke::rolleyes::type: in gear, I have several electrical projects and my slipper clutch sitting on the garage floor to install, and several pages of instructions printed out thanks to @quexpress .

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I spent too many years mastering blip downshifts to throw it all out the window now.
Same here! :)
I do it automatically by reflex even with my assist/slipper clutch.
Having said that I must admit that I have tested this assist/slipper clutch pretty hard (from a high speed/rev, quickly downshifting 2 gears at a time, etc.). It performed exactly as advertised. The rear wheel never hopped, skidded, etc.

Although purchased because of the the easy pull requirement, I'm very happy with the other positive effects of this clutch. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts