Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Versys 650 LT, setup for a bit of off pavement riding.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks to be some good weather the next couple of days (October never disappoints) so I think I'll head to Skate Creek and get my tires dirty. My research leads me to believe it's logging type roads so shouldn't be too gnarly. The forest service website says there is one section that was damaged but passable with a 4x4. Normally that means a bike will have no problem.

I recently rebuilt my forks (new seals) so I gotta test them out sometime :)

Public Map:
Skate Creek Area - Google My Maps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be careful. The Weather does look good but there was a lot of rain this week. Might be some washouts on those roads.
Have fun. I'm jealous!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be careful. The Weather does look good but there was a lot of rain this week. Might be some washouts on those roads.
Have fun. I'm jealous!
Yeah, that's in my mind. If I get up there and it's super wet/nasty I can give it another day to dry out and try again Sunday. I'm far to noob and sensible to take giant risks (mostly)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick write up/report - video coming soon.

I did FR 85, 47 and 84. Conditions were pretty good. Damp in spots, some filled puddles, a few frozen over but not bad. There are a couple semi wash outs but both are easy for bikes to pass. Tracks are mostly dirt/gravel forest/logging road but there was a little embedded rock and some ruts and a small step up or two that mad it fun challenging.

Great fall colors. Totally fun with lots of secondary routes to travel and explore.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Great to read that you had some great riding that day. When you rebuilt your forks. Did you use OEM or something different? Just curious is all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great to read that you had some great riding that day. When you rebuilt your forks. Did you use OEM or something different? Just curious is all.
As far as the viscosity rating? The oil I chose was an Amsoil that was just slightly less on the scale. Probably not enough to tell. It was what the DIY Moto shop had in stock and I checked it against the Stock rating.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
FWIW - since I raced Enduros (back in the '70 and '80s) I've used ATF (auto trans fluid) in my forks, including in BOTH my V650s.

WalMart fork oil by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put together a little video. Road conditions mostly very good, a few fun challenges. Nothing overly dangerous. Can't wait to get back up there and explore all the other roads. Looks quite extensive when viewing maps.

ASHFORD SKATE CREEK - VERSYS ADV ADVENTURE OFF ROAD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts