Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay after spending an hour searching the forum with no luck, I will just have to ask my question.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the simple seat mod that raises up the front of the seat where the seat pivots into place?

I see this mod referred to a lot, but no one explains what it is or how it's done.

I know this isn't an ideal fix, it just needs to work for a couple of weeks until my SC seat is done.

Thank you!

·
Registered
665 Posts
There are a couple ways to do it. One uses washers on the forward bracket to push the front up. Another uses foam strips stuffed into the holes on the seat pan in the forward part of the seat. The washers mod would probably be your best bet as it is more easily reversible for after your SC is done.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A picture is great, but how do you do that? Even if I just used washers I still need a piece of metal on the bottom. What is used?

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A picture is great, but how do you do that? Even if I just used washers I still need a piece of metal on the bottom. What is used?

Thanks.
What I used was a piece of aluminum scrap that I had tossed in my box of "this might come in handy someday" metal scrap. I save bits of aluminum off of anything headed for the trash bin. I love aluminium cuz it's light and mostly cuz it is easy to drill and file.

If you havent' started a scrap crap collection, you might have to go to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and buy a piece of sheet aluminium to hack up for little projects.

Get a hacksaw, vise, drill, file, pipe cutter and go to improvisin':D

·
Registered
496 Posts
How do I order the riser for my 2017 650?
Here's what I did.

Go here to download the file for free: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1775953.

Then go here to upload the file and have the riser printed: https://www.makexyz.com/

Specify the following on the makexyz website:

Process: FDM
Material: ABS
Color: Green (or whatever color you want)
Infill: 50% (the default is a lower % which may not be strong enough)
Layer height: 0.2mm

Then wait for it to arrive. This was my first foray into 3D printing and it was very easy and inexpensive. The two websites listed above are very intuitive to use, no expertise required.

For installation, I used stainless M6 x 40mm hex-head bolts and M6 flat washers (you can also use flange-head bolts, which would eliminate the need for the washers.) I think 40mm is the minimum bolt length you can get away with; others have used 45mm or 50mm. Took less than five minutes to swap out the risers.

·
Super Moderator
19,403 Posts
I've been posting THIS mod for years, since I first read about it back in '08. Co$t$ about $2 to do - a piece of scrap steel w/ two 1/4" holes in it, 12 = 1/4" washers, and two 6mm x 45mm bolts. Here's pics:

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09373 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Raises the front of the seat about 3/4" on mine.

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

EASY and CHEAP! And has been in place on my three separate V650s for OVER 155,000 miles among them, and about 90,000 miles on my '08!

:goodidea:

·
Registered
496 Posts
With my design my intention was to keep the original supporting areas and avoid transferring the force to the plastic lever of the seat. So far this is the only benefit using my solution.
The flaw(s) of Rawkstar320 are described here:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/170-technical-discussion-v-650/206673-aware.html
I haven't had an issue with the 3D printed block I'm currently using or my Sargent seat, which has a metal pan and tang instead of plastic, but I think I may try your trick anyway -- seems like a more secure solution. If I do I'll report back.

Reactions: onewizard and alpy

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did this mod about 1 month ago and just today went for a 100 mile ride. Absolutely no sliding forward. The best improvement that I have done for approximately $4.00 and 15 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Be Aware that the Seat Tab could break by doing this !!!!!!!

Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing :surprise: :frown2:

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could :|

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland :smile2:

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard :smile2:

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing :surprise: :frown2:

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could :|

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland :smile2:

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard :smile2:
Fully Agree

Early on I tried that mod, made things worse and touching ground / flat footing, impossible. I then modified my seat https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/122466-seat-foam-modifications-diy.html

Recently a Corbin came up for sale ( off a MK-2 ), my modded seat is good, but a Corbin would be better. I had one on my 07, unfortunately, when I bought my 2015 I had my Corbin with me in the showroom, since I hadn't bought the bike, and trying the seat on without doing damage, I reluctantly sold the bike with the Corbin, never had time to see why the 07 seat wouldn't fit, side plastic seemed in the way.
So I looked at taking a chance on the MK-2 Corbin, well the cost of shipping to Ontario just blew that out of the water, almost as much as what the seat is going for.:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
19,403 Posts
this is the SAME post I made on another thread, several minutes ago...

...I know many members have raised the nose of their seat using many forms of a bracket. this creates a gap of about 8.0mm between the seat pan and the silver steel fuel tank bracket in (2) locations. Because the tongue of the pan, although molded with strengthening ribs, was not designed to bear the weight of the rider, I think it's important to install a new form of support for the pan to take the load off the tongue....
I raised the front of the seats on all THREE V650s I bought, and never did anything to address the GAP that you have mentioned. BTW I weigh about 180# w/out ATGATT, so I estimate my weight as 200# w/ it.

My '08 has 89,850 miles on it, and it had the seat raised shortly after buying it in '08. My '09 seat was raised right after I bought it (new), and had 62,790 kms [39,016 miles] when it was written-off for insurance on 20 July '15, while my '15 (replacement for the '09) has 73,013 kms [45,368 miles] w/ its seat raised when I got it home from the dealer on DAY 1.

I can't see any problem UNLESS you weigh a 'helluva LOT more than I do, and MAYBE not even THEN!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts