Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after buying my 2015 650LT all the signals and hazards stopped working. After hours of forum searching and multimeter tutorials, I think I found where the failure is located.

The orange wire connecting the relay to the left handlebar switches has no continuity (check marks indicate tested wires that have continuity). Looking through my repair manual it seems that the left switch housing lead is located under the tank. I would have checked that but needed to sleep instead.
Thinking about it though, why would only one wire on that lead go bad without anything else going wrong? All other systems on the bike work just fine. Am I doing this wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I’m hoping to figure out. Is that common with these bikes? It doesn’t seem like that would just spontaneously happen though.

I figured out how to take the tank off but I’m going to try accessing the wiring harness without going through the whole process. It just seems really involved to get there.

Any other thoughts on what else I should be checking?

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
That’s what I’m hoping to figure out. Is that common with these bikes? It doesn’t seem like that would just spontaneously happen though.

I figured out how to take the tank off but I’m going to try accessing the wiring harness without going through the whole process. It just seems really involved to get there.

Any other thoughts on what else I should be checking?

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
First thing is take a meter and check from orange to ground with the key on, are you getting your battery voltage? Post that. Next there is a connector but I think it is buried below the tank . I looked for photos, nothing specific.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes.There was no space to check it with the connector attached so I just put a wire in it and checked (see picture).

The result was 12.1V. I had previously checked the signal relay as shown in the manual and it was working properly.

The voltage at the switches’ orange connection is also 12V, with the relay in series.

So I feel like the problem is somewhere between the relay and the switches because of the lack of continuity discussed earlier. The only thing between them is the connector under the tank. I just don’t know how anything under there could randomly go bad.

I haven’t taken the tank off yet but I’m hoping I can just lift it high enough to reach the connector. It’s nearly full so I don’t want to end up spilling it everywhere. I’ve messed with the tank on an old Suzuki I used to have and I got gas on myself every time, no matter if it was drained or had gas in it. So I don’t want to deal with that mess if I can manage it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
OK you have the same year as me, the air box is extremely tight, notice in the photo I have various coloured tape, that is all locations where I used a 100 LB wire tie, as I had to pry my air box out doing the valve shim the first time. If you have never taken the gas tank off ask, I have done it about six times on the 2015, vaseline makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
Thanks for posting the wiring drawing, although I am 100% familiar with it , 12V on the orange proves two things, the fuse is good and the flasher contact is closed . That wire follows the clutch cable up, it wouldn't surprise me if it broke, don't be alarmed but have a real close look at your right front signal light wire and low beam headlight wire, my 2015 was so tight , there was no slack, I cut into it and extended it 7 inches, what a PITA , have a close look under the seat, you will see a diagnostic plug, same thing, the wire is so short it won't lock onto the storage bracket.

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
Yes.There was no space to check it with the connector attached so I just put a wire in it and checked (see picture).

The result was 12.1V. I had previously checked the signal relay as shown in the manual and it was working properly.
View attachment 179513
The voltage at the switches’ orange connection is also 12V, with the relay in series.

So I feel like the problem is somewhere between the relay and the switches because of the lack of continuity discussed earlier. The only thing between them is the connector under the tank. I just don’t know how anything under there could randomly go bad.

I haven’t taken the tank off yet but I’m hoping I can just lift it high enough to reach the connector. It’s nearly full so I don’t want to end up spilling it everywhere. I’ve messed with the tank on an old Suzuki I used to have and I got gas on myself every time, no matter if it was drained or had gas in it. So I don’t want to deal with that mess if I can manage it...
Just read your post fully, you cannot lift the tank, it slides backward, the fuel bung needs to be released and the fuel pump wire socket disconnected, you also need to remove the mounting bracket at the seat. here is my post on Valve shim which involves removing the tank, I have photos there and instructions, including re,leasing the socket for the fuel pump

OK not the photo I was looking for, top right you will see some Orange which is firesleeve , just right and up you will see a black round knob, there are two of those, the gas tank rides on the and you slide the tank to the rear to get it off.

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
Did you check the fuses?
Did you read post #6, 12.1 VDC?? I have seen a voltage reading on a bad fuse , as it is carbon tracking enough to drive the digital meter, but I would expect something like 8VDC on a carbon tracked fuse. 12.1 is too close to a valid reading of the battery. . A really quick test would be to turn the emergency flasher on, connect one meter lead the positive battery and the other to the orange wire, if the meter reads 12VDC or more, the fuse is blown, having said that, I don't recall anyone having this happen on any model versys in 11 years.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
...I haven’t taken the tank off yet but I’m hoping I can just lift it high enough to reach the connector. It’s nearly full so I don’t want to end up spilling it everywhere. I’ve messed with the tank on an old Suzuki I used to have and I got gas on myself every time, no matter if it was drained or had gas in it. So I don’t want to deal with that mess if I can manage it....
I had my '15 V650 tank off a week ago (FULL to the brim!), and discovered that a rubber tubeless tire valve fits OVER the end of the fuel line and KEPT IT FROM LEAKING over the couple of days the tank was OFF!

2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here’s what it looks like. Orange wire pin on the connecter is corroded.

I cleaned it up but broke the female end in the process. Anyone know a good brand of universal 9-pin connector?

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
You will need a special crimper, what I would do is go to a auto parts store , you could buy a 4 pin trailer harness, splice it in , extract the circuit you need and then re-install the existing plug. I included the two sources, one carries that plug and pins and crimper.I looked at cycle terminals, below is a 9 pin, 16 to 20 gauge wire
Furukawa FW 090 9 Pin Male Connector FW-C-9M-B
For wire sizes .5mm - 1.25mm (16 - 20 AWG) These come complete with Male Terminals and Green Seals

This one is eastern beaver

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
So here’s what it looks like. Orange wire pin on the connecter is corroded.
View attachment 179542
View attachment 179543
I cleaned it up but broke the female end in the process. Anyone know a good brand of universal 9-pin connector?
When I look at your corroded "contact" - it says to me that It might've been different w/ some 'dielectric-grease' in there, which is WHY I always put some in EVERY contact- connector I open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I ordered a connector earlier this week but the confirmation email says shipping is delayed. It hasn’t come in yet so I went ahead and used a bunch of shrink sleeves to individually match up the 9 wires. I couldn’t wait on the connect to arrive because I have a BRC2 course scheduled in two days and can’t do the work tomorrow. Everything is working fine now. There seems to be enough length in the wires that I can install the connect whenever it arrives. Oh, and I’ll definitely put the grease on it when I do. It still seems weird that only that one pin corroded.

Thank you for your help. Your tips and encouragement were very useful. Who knows how much the shop would have charged me to do all that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts