Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading an article on Canyon Chasers last night. I ordered a bicycle speedometer on the Aerostich web site last night(I had no idea how accurate they are). I am tired of never knowing exactly how fast I am riding and after paying for a $454 plus traffic school speeding ticket it just seems like a smart move.
I am trying to figure out how to attach it to my upside down forks. I decided against finding a wireless sensor as I am not sure if my electronics would interfere with its signal. So if anyone has any experience installing the sensors on a Versys Please speak up would like to hear your thoughts
thanks

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I don't have an answer, but the stock gearing has the speedometer optimistic by as much as 5 miles per hour. So if you are stock, you're actually traveling slower than you show on the speedometer. Unless you are mentally compensating, the speedometer should actually help you not get a ticket. Make sense? Plus I wouldn't want a bicycle computer on my motorcycle, wireless or not. Just my 2 cents. :goodluck:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been using Sigma bike computers on my motorcycles for several years and they're great. Takes a little time to get them calibrated just right but it's worth the trouble and expense. But I've not put one on the Versys because I went with the 16 tooth counter sprocket and it makes the speedometer almost dead accurate so it's not worth it for this particular application.
What I've done in the past however is just make an L shaped bracket to attach the pickup sensor to. Then zip tie the bracket to the fork. The bracket should be light enough metal that you can bend it easily to get the right clearance to the magnet. You can attach the magnet to the wheel using a dab of J B Weld or something similar. I don't think you'll have much trouble figuring this out. Good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Or just use one of the various "Speedo Healer" gizmos out there. That seems easier to me than futzing with a bike speedo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The speedo on my late 2010 is very accurate. Ihave checked it against my sat nav and a sat nav app on my iPhone 3G s.
Most bike and car speedo over read most of the time and I don't think another gadget will be the solution.
In the uk we have speed cameras everywhere and the chances of getting a ticket are pretty high. The best solution to speeding is to get some advanced rider training either on a track or road based, and practice your speed awareness. The thing attached to you right wrist is the problem, not your speedo!
I haven't had a speeding ticket in 22 years and I ride almost everyday, and I ride a medical response bike which is similar to police and paramedic bikes here in England. Have a look here www.bloodbikes.org.uk to see what we get upto

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do alot of mountainbiking and have bike speedos on all my bikes. What use would this have on the Versys? Not trying to be smart, just wondering what it would help? Cause maybe I'll put one on.

Like what was posted, my Versys speedo reads about 5mph faster than I am going. This is probably a help with not getting a ticket. I know this and ride accordingly. I know I can get away with 5 mph over the speed limit, so on the interstate I know I'm safe keeping it below 75 on the Versys speedo. I often ride with my Garmin GPS mounted and I use the speed display on that more so than the Versys.

Mike

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, you ordered it from aerostich so you can always send it back if these guys have convinced you to go another route. On bikes with the speedo driven from the front wheel the Sigma can answer, but with a computerized speedo I suppose there are better solutions.
If you got the thing and want to make it work, the bracket is the best path.
My old TDM had a very inaccurate speedo, then the needle broke off! I bought a Sigma from 'stich and got it set up (takes some fiddling), then programmed it. Very accurate and I had a KPH display for a tour in BC. Coolness!
The magnet flung off. Had to epoxy one to the wheel. Then a year later,the thing died. I replaced it. A few months later, that one died. Hmm..
Both times it when I was out riding the twisties out of Fossil, strange...
It turns out that I was cooking the pickup as I had attached it to the brake caliper. Most of the time it worked fine, but charging hard and braking to the apex got the caliper hot enough to kill the pickup!
I got a GPS after that, though relocating the pickup with a bracket would have solved the problem I think.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Switch it to KPH and you won't have to pedal quite as hard. ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
With my Sigma I've liked having not only the correct speed but also a couple of other trip meters. Also tells me the average speed, highest speed, etc. Waterproof and shockproof, it's a nifty little device for around $35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts