Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody considered this or have one? I want any feedback I can get!

:feedback:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Defeats the joy of a motorcycle. Cant lean it through the turns, and have to take it very easy through them as well.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can see where it could be an attractive way to carry a passenger, but I think I will stick with two wheels. I guess you could always do a Versys trike too!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sorry
for me the only reason to even think of a sidecar outfit is if you have serious problmes with traffic
http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/04-0106-2002.jpg
I know its down to personal preference but having a sidecar is like the Spider in my books the worst of both worlds. and as to amking a trike out of a Versys

behave... or you'll go down on report to the RSPCV ... society for prevention of cruelty to Versys

·
Registered
202 Posts
Angst.............Check out this site http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp .

You can download Hal Kendalls excellent information: The Sidecar Manual and The Sidecar Operator's Manual. You may want to go over these books and get an idea of what is required to build and operate a sidecar before you jump in.

I used these books to learn how to build and how to ride sidecars and they were a great help. This was before the advent of sidecar rider's training here in WA. Yes, here in WA, you need a three wheel endorsement to drive a sidecar; a motorcycle license will not suffice. Your state may be different.

A friend of mine drove a DMC sidecar/BMW R1000GS rig last year and was amazed how well it handled. They are in Enumclaw, WA and may have or know some one in your area that can help you.

Good luck and enjoy.....................Frog

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sidecar Racers ....

:cheers:You have to wonder how fun it would be , to be the monkey on the sidecar , hanging off to control the balance around corners....What a rush !:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Defeats the joy of a motorcycle. Cant lean it through the turns, and have to take it very easy through them as well.
An old friend of mine had a pretty bad crash at Thunder Hill a few years back, and didn't have much use of his right shoulder for a while. He bought a Helix and had his race mechanic rig it for left-hand throttle.

Then he bought a sidehack for it so his girl could ride along.

I have a picture, somewhere, of him riding that thing on Highway 9 in California in a hard left, flying the sidehack in the air with her in it.

So you CAN do those things. It's just a little crazy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just buy a 2 seat convertible, faster and safer. Get a Miata, Corvette, S2000, or 350/370z. A sidecar loses all the benefits of a cycle and doesn't offer the advantages of a car so why bother?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I followed a sidecar rig through a few corners once and without a passenger the guy had to crawl round the right hand bends. Even at very slow speeds I could almost see the sidecar lift up. Turned me off them completely.

I second the motion to at least consider a convertible. For me cars were always just a means of transportation but that changed when I got an S2000. That thing is as much fun as motorcycles. Honestly!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I followed a sidecar rig through a few corners once and without a passenger the guy had to crawl round the right hand bends. Even at very slow speeds I could almost see the sidecar lift up. Turned me off them completely.

I second the motion to at least consider a convertible. For me cars were always just a means of transportation but that changed when I got an S2000. That thing is as much fun as motorcycles. Honestly!
I would like both!! S2000 is the only Honda I'd let myself drive due to the stupidly-powerful motor and the light weight. Like a Miata meant for adults. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Alba.......That is definitely one problem AND it is the very reason I always suggest that anyone contemplating a sidecar read the Operators Manual from the site I mentioned above. There are some tricks that make it easier, but none of them do all away with the problem. ...............Frog

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Since the Versys is a light bike, a lighter sidecar would work best with it.

A velorex sidecar comes to mind.

Back in the '70's, I used to ice race a sidecar rig. Very fun, but way different than a motorcycle. It's an asymetrical vehicle. The center of thrust is of center. For example, when you roll on the gas, it swerves toward the side car. When you brake, it swerves toward the bike. When you ride straight at a steady speed you have to apply pressure to one handle grip to maintain a straight heading. To turn, you don't countersteer like a bike, you turn the bars like a car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've only seen a handful of sidecars in real life. In fact, it's ironic I just saw this thread because on my way in to work about 30 minutes ago, I passed a bike with a sidecar on the freeway! I've lived here for 5 years and haven't seen one.

As I passed him, I noticed that the rider was missing half his left leg and the sidecar was actually holding a wheelchair. Can't imagine the mods he has on his bike to make that work, but bravo for not letting anything keep him off a bike!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts