Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Versys 300 on the way the way, and unfortunately -45mm lowering links (it's for a small rider). That means amongst other things it's going to need a shorter side stand.

Obviously cutting and welding the OEM stand is an option, though not the most attractive one initially for various reasons. No workshop, bike lives in the street, no way to store the bike without a stand, not in my home country so language barrier etc.. etc..

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out what is the standard length of the OEM side stand, what the thickness of the side stand mount on the frame is, and the mounting gap at the top of the stand is. Does anyone here have any of these specs or are quickly able to measure theirs?

I'm also curious if the Ninja 250/300 side stand fits and is shorter.

P.S not in the US so the stands from t-rex etc.. would be prohibitively expensive and bureaucratic to import.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's a shame about the T-Rex stand and import duties. I replaced my stand after installing new lowering links, and it's a very good one. Probably the Last Stand [insert rim shot here] I'll ever need on this bike.

My bike's at home so I don't have these specs handy.

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
199 Posts
I just went through something similar on the V1000. Look at the parts diagrams for the bike's side stand for the models you're considering. I'd buy a used side stand, and in your case, I think you'll likely have to cut one shorter. Consider how you deploy it, so need a pin or loop like you already have to get your boot on it. Might be another one that works (i.e., pin near the foot). Mount the donor stand and put the bike on it. Guessing how much to remove, likely an inch...... park the bike with a piece of say 3/4" plywood under each tire to test if 3/4" is enough. Lean the bike onto the side stand, side stand on the floor of course. If enough, get some 1" material and slide it up to the side stand foot. Scribe a line all around, this is where you'll cut it off. Make a new foot plate, say from 1/4" steel (net gain 3/4"). With the cut off side stand and the new 1" foot, test again to see if enough..... if not, scribe again and cut some more off... once you've finalized it, find a welder guy....
Consider all that work and it may be worth buying the T-Rex one. Soupy has one too but it's double the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts