Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting a pair of Happy Trail side cases on my V. Can anyone tell me what to expect in the way of handling changes. It handles so sweet right now, don't want to mess that up, but really want the touring storage capability.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ride the mountains with side bags and top case. The only time you will know they are there is if they are all fully loaded. Even then it's nothing to really worry about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the Givi hard bags and you can tell they're there and I think they slow the steering somewhat - it's going to depend on how you intend to ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hard Bags

I have both the Givi E21 small bags and the E360 larger bags. The E21 you never know they are there. I notice E360 bags only in heavy side winds as the bike seems to get blown around more.

·
Registered
429 Posts
E21s, never noticed them until I bought 4 gallons of milk and forgot the latch the door fully (it was dark). I'm pretty sure I felt the door flopping in the wind more than anything else.

NEVER feel them otherwise. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have to HB Gobi's and no diff in handling. Got to watch narrow spaces though as they are about 1" wider than the bars.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fully loaded!? I have the OEM hard bags, and lemme tell ya, I can put an 18 pack of bottled Miller in each case plus a few zip-loc bags of ice and I still don't feel much. The only time the bike told me, "whoa, theres a load on here" was when I also had my backpack full.

Let's just say my friends are really happy that I have my saddlebags now! :thumb:

And no, I do not drink and ride. Just transportation of precious cargo from point A to B.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Givi V35s (Kawasaki's OEM hard bags) and don't notice them at all. The only time I noticed a change was when I was fully loaded with a Sealine waterproof duffle strapped to the back. Only then did the front wheel lift a bit easily due to the weight in the rear.
Riding just side bags is no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have an E52 top case with V35 side cases and only notice the side cases trying to get my old leg over them to get on or off. I am sure they affect handling some, but not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ditto for most of the above. I have the V35, and don't even notice them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the v35's and I dont know they are back there till I kick them trying to throw a over them. I really need longet legs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Minimal on the V.

That's not true for every bike though.

Top cases, because they are high and further to the rear are more noticeable, and if loaded heavy really make turn-in wonky.

Side cases are less negative effect, but the turn in will be a little slower due to the weight.
But as many have said, that effect is minimal on the V.

Once you ride with hard bags, you get used to it, and never realize they are there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Nvoelsch, where you gonna be this weekend? With two 18-packs AND a backpack full of more beer, I want to be at that party.

I have Givi E21s and never notice a change in performance or handling. And, I agree that backpacks can throw off balance in high wind.

·
Super Moderator
20,663 Posts
I have an E52 top case with V35 side cases and only notice the side cases trying to get my old leg over them to get on or off. I am sure they affect handling some, but not enough to worry about.
I've posted this advice several times on KLR forums:

IF you're having trouble getting your right leg over the seat/ around gear, try getting on from the RIGHT side. Here's how:

1. right hand holding the front brake as you
2. put your right foot onto the 'peg and rear brake, then
3. move your left hand over to the left grip as you transfer your weight left, and
4. easily swing your left foot over to the ground by the side stand.

The bike won't tip right as long as you transfer weight left as in 3.

Cheers,
Ed:thumb:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey Nvoelsch, where you gonna be this weekend? With two 18-packs AND a backpack full of more beer, I want to be at that party.

I have Givi E21s and never notice a change in performance or handling. And, I agree that backpacks can throw off balance in high wind.
:D Was in Coos Bay, Oregon all weekend. Beautiful ride over, beautiful ride back to Eugene.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.