Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I have searched and read a lot about side cases and racks and everything under the moon.

However, as far as I'm concerned its all a bunch of numbers and specifications that mean nothing to me. (I don't even know which end of a hammer to use.)

So...here is my situation...I want to add side bags to my 09 V. I do NOT want to have to modify any taillights, blinkers, etc. to make the rack fit.

I would LIKE to be able to fit my full face in the bag, although if this is not possible due to my first condition, that is ok.

Now...for the question...what rack do I need, and what cases do i need? A link to the product would be beneficial.

Many thanks! I am very inept with this stuff, so I'm trying to keep it simple! :thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can take the Givi V35 sidebag brackets off your list...they require you to move the turn signals...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You can take the Givi V35 sidebag brackets off your list...they require you to move the turn signals...
Take the V35's off your list, too, because their location on the bike requires moving the blinkers no matter which mounting brackets you use.

Moving the blinkers isn't that big a deal. Would be a shame to remove V35's from your list of possibilities because of that. Farkling a bike means moving this, rewiring that...comes with the territory.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Happy trails will make you remount the blinkers but its pretty easy even for the guy who does not do well with tools. They however will not hold a fullface helmet unless you go with a trunk box also.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Both of the Givi racks and the SW Motech racks require relocation of tail signals, or shorter stalks. Don't know about the other brands. It took me about an hour to install my Givi sideracks including signal relocation.

V35 bags may hold a helmet. E41 bags I have seen pics of them holding a helmet. Givi makes some generic less stylish bags that will hold a helmet.

Well, I guess I am wrong about the turn signals. Subsequent posts say you don't have to relocate with some bag/ rack combos. I did with Givi racks and E21s.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
On a personal basis

My Shoei RF-1100 XL doesn't fit in my Givi V35

So if you have a similar size helmet, steer away from the V35

LOP

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the oem bags (V-35) and did not have to move the signals. They are shielded from the side but the front signals are clearly visible from any angle where the rears are not. No issue for me or the state inspectors.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the oem bags (V-35) and did not have to move the signals. They are shielded from the side but the front signals are clearly visible from any angle where the rears are not. No issue for me or the state inspectors.
I agree, I used the SW Motech quick release racks and V35 bags, The rear blinkers fit right in a recess. They are still visible from at least a 45 degree angle from the rear so I saw no reason to relocate. Never had an issue with state inspection.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm on the same quest, and just posted a similar style thread although I don't mind moving the turn signals. It's funny, I'm a pretty smart guy (I know which end of the hammer to use :) but this had me confused too, seems simple...

Thanks for posting!

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of Ortlieb Dry Saddlebags. Softsided, waterproof, lightweight, easy on/off. A little to narrow to fit a full faced helmet, but they carry a lot of stuff. Great for holding gear for a weekend trip or just picking up a few groceries or doing a beer run...
Available from Aerostich. Here's the link:

http://www.aerostich.com/ortlieb-dry-bag-saddlebags.html

And I took a few photos for your viewing pleasure...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts