Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had three bikes, sold two of them and kept the X-300. As good as the X-300 is, I miss the power of the big bikes. So I'd suggest taking a little time to think about it before you sell it, after all, you've had it for 10 years and a couple of more months wont hurt. Also, the ST1300 is a great sport touring bike that they dont make anymore either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I had three bikes, sold two of them and kept the X-300. As good as the X-300 is, I miss the power of the big bikes. So I'd suggest taking a little time to think about it before you sell it, after all, you've had it for 10 years and a couple of more months wont hurt. Also, the ST1300 is a great sport touring bike that they dont make anymore either.
Good advice! Thank you!

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650
29 Posts
I had a ST1300 in the past when they first came out here (2003) The spiel from the Bike Press was it was Super VFR with ALL the sporting dynamics of the VFR750/800. in a more touring package.
Didn't take long to realise the Honda did not make it thus, that bike was the still in their future, the VFR1200F, which was also a bike that I loved.
What surprised me was how Honda fitted such hard to read in daylight instrument negative image LCD panels. And their still at it even today.

I was quite good at scuffing the right hand side pannier box while getting on the bike. Was I alone with this ? No, was the answer, as the bike shop 'sitter on any bike' crowd added their mark too when it was for sale as a trade in.
The best part of the ST was the V4 motor; I think Honda was poorly advised in not making a Naked bike with this motor. The VTX1300 Cruiser version wasn't for me, but still was a good bike.

Our State Police Service is still using the ST1300SP in regular service, and they have a very good appeal in the used Market here.

Rob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So a couple months ago I got a Versys X-300. I love it!!! I also have a Honda ST1300, that I have had for the last 10 year, done an Iron Butt on, and I still love, that is great! It is good for 2-up with my wife, but she only rides...maybe...once a year with me. Should I keep the ST1300, or sell it and just have the Versys? Convince me to keep the ST!
Definitely keep the ST. They are GREAT bikes. The delightful Kawi 300 is simply a different bike. Both are outstanding. If you can, keep both!! (P.S., I have a kawi ver 300 and an st 1100. Love both)

·
Registered
323 Posts
So a couple months ago I got a Versys X-300. I love it!!! I also have a Honda ST1300, <SNIP> Should I keep the ST1300, or sell it and just have the Versys? Convince me to keep the ST!
Personally I'd keep both. That 300 is not going to be adequate if you ever feel the need to ride 400 miles for a lunch get-together or take a two week, 6000 mile round trip to some beautiful national park on the other side of the nation.

For years I had both an ST1100 or ST1300 for long distance trips and a VFR at the same time for weekend corner carving and medium distance trips. They are two different bikes with two different missions. If I was younger I would have kept my old ST1300 so that my V650 would have company in the garage but I got to where I just could no longer ride long distances and handle the ST's weight because of physical ailments typical of my 75 yo body. The Versys 650LT is the perfect machine for my stage of life.

Got lots of wonderful memories of my ST's and VFR's:

Tire Wheel Water Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes you should keep the ST. I owned a ST1100 for 10 years, traded for a ST1300 for 12 years, traded for a FJR 8 years now + a few other bikes in the Garage. X300 being one of them.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
670 Posts
...tried the NT700...a lil boring to ride..
I think I was just labeled as boring 🤣 ... my NT700 is my 'fast' bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Of course you should keep both ! I have a Honda NT700V (basically a little brother to the ST1300) along with my Versys-x 300 (which now has the shad box I got from you -- so we're practically brothers).
The Honda is for longer trips, low maintenance shaft, on-road comfort. (heavier / more stable on the highway)
The Kawi is for shorter trips, off-road jaunts, fire roads, etc. (lighter, more nimble)

Unless you find that unicorn bike we all dream of ... or run on hard times and need to sell something, a two-bike minimum is the only thing that make sense !

Happy Friday !

JT
I had a NT700 for about four years, Put 35000 miles on it. Rode it all over the US. Also Had a ST1300 at the same time. Called the NT my ST700. Then I got the FJR and both Hondas went away. PS are you on the NT Forum. Home

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think I was just labeled as boring 🤣 ... my NT700 is my 'fast' bike.
Every year the NT folks and the ST folks have a get together in Spearfish SD. NATSTOC.
This year in June. If interested ping me up and I will send you the details. Very informal.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had a NT700 for about four years, Put 35000 miles on it. Rode it all over the US. Also Had a ST1300 at the same time. Called the NT my ST700. Then I got the FJR and both Hondas went away. PS are you on the NT Forum. Home

View attachment 187369
I have not been on it in a while, but have been on there as "Jesse"

What does the FJR have that you like it better?

Every year the NT folks and the ST folks have a get together in Spearfish SD. NATSTOC.
This year in June. If interested ping me up and I will send you the details. Very informal.
It's amazing the networking enthusiasts experience. I probably won't make that trip,, but it's good to know about it!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have not been on it in a while, but have been on there as "Jesse"

What does the FJR have that you like it better?

It's amazing the networking enthusiasts experience. I probably won't make that trip,, buy it's good to know about it!!

Thanks!
The FJR has all the good attributes of theST1100 and the ST1300, but non of the bad. It is the Best of all three worlds with a bit of personalization.ie. wind shield, seat, risers etc. Also my Gen III has factory heated grips and factory cruise control.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So a couple months ago I got a Versys X-300. I love it!!! I also have a Honda ST1300, that I have had for the last 10 year, done an Iron Butt on, and I still love, that is great! It is good for 2-up with my wife, but she only rides...maybe...once a year with me. Should I keep the ST1300, or sell it and just have the Versys? Convince me to keep the ST!
Well, I would keep it since they are entirely different bikes. Only question is how often do you ride ST by yourself?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well ... one thing for sure, if you don't want to sell it, don't advertise it just to see if it gets any interest.

I put my NT700V on Craigslist and sold it in 3 days. I'm still not sure what hit me !

Either way, guess I'm a hypocrite based on my original post🤦🏼‍♂️ ... the new seat on my X300 was good enough for me to consider selling the Honda ... figured I'd put it out there for a good price and sold it before I knew what happened.

At least I kept the Versys!

Reactions: MikeMims

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well ... one thing for sure, if you don't want to sell it, don't advertise it just to see if it gets any interest.

I put my NT700V on Craigslist and sold it in 3 days. I'm still not sure what hit me !

Either way, guess I'm a hypocrite based on my original post🤦🏼‍♂️ ... the new seat on my X300 was good enough for me to consider selling the Honda ... figured I'd put it out there for a good price and sold it before I knew what happened.

At least I kept the Versys!
Good advice! The ST1300 still sleeps in my garage.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts