Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at my chain because I have a weird rattle noise at like 2-3k rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Thought might be a loose chain and i went to measure slack. Well found this ball of goop. It's not sticky so no failed gasket. Right above where the gear shift goes until the bike. Not sure, the rest of the bike is clean and no oil leaks. Also chain is within spec. 2014 v650. Still looking for rattle
20210602_205113.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just switched over to the v650 from a Vstrom but that reminds me a lot of what I saw when the counter sprocket shaft seal went in my DL650.

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
As said by ViSKY , remove cover and clean the sprocket area with WD40 pr anything of your choice . On the rattle , loose chain and check for tight links and see if the chain has free movements on all links. Check alignment of chain too.

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is just gunk flung off the chain... it mostly collects in/on/and around the front sprocket cover.
"Affectionately" known as "chain smeg".

It's the dirtiest foulest :poop: in all of motorcycledom.

If a lump of it drops on the garage floor and you don't clean it up
immediately you will always stand on it, walk inside and track it across the carpet,
the missus then goes berserk and no sex for a month:poop:

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
37 Posts
It is just gunk flung off the chain...
If a lump of it drops on the garage floor and you don't clean it up
immediately you will always stand on it, walk inside and track it across the carpet,
Hi,

LOL, it's exactly what happened to me this week ! 😀

Anyway, about the chain, every now and then (3000 miles / 5000 km), it's a good practice to clean this cover and remove this abrasive mix of dirt and grease. And protect the carpet and your relationship with your wife.
But, on the other hand, I think it's completely useless to "clean" the chain itself. I never did it and all my chains last for 22000 miles / 35000 km (even with powerfull bike like the ZRX 1200).

Have a nice day
Emmanuel

·
Registered
978 Posts
i always welcome new ideas. not cleaning a chain at all? for a lazy guy like me this is great. ok, if we go this route, i would include not cleaning the front sprocket at all....

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
37 Posts
i always welcome new ideas. not cleaning a chain at all? for a lazy guy like me this is great.
Hi Kris,
It's not exactly what I meant. I use grease spray on the chain.
Just a few, every 250 miles (400 km), on the inner side.
And it's more than enough.
The dirt and sand are naturally ejected. There is just the cover to clean.

I think that chain cleaning is overkill. It may even be worse, removing
the grease inside the chain, and damaging the chain seals.
More is not always better.

See you later
Emmanuel

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
I have used nothing but WD40 (bought in gallon containers) to lube the chains on ALL THREE of my V650s, since '08 (and OVER 155,000 MILES!), and I have NEVER "cleaned" a chain outside of wiping the excess WD40 off w/ a rag.

For those who don't remember - the OEM chain on my '08 lasted OVER 50,000 MILES.

DSC01371 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Brake cleaner or WD-40 clean the sprocket housing do not use Brake cleaner or WD-40 as lube or cleaner on rubber parts aka your chain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts