Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was stuck in traffic today and my temperature light came on, so I shut it down when I could to let it cool. Got home and checked the coolant level, (all good). Was snooping around the cooling system as the bike is new to me and notice that the fan does not turn freely at all. Is this normal, or is it seized?
Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Many fans fit, ER6 Ninja, KLR 650 , I have one I paid $30 sitting as a spare. Chances are good the fuse blew and possibly just a seized bearing, very easy to take apart, be very careful as the brushes will pop out and can be damaged.

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
An older post with photos

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Bearing replacement

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Theoretically if the fan was fused properly, it is just a blown fuse and bearing failure. I mentioned in XenMotto post about using 608-2RS instead of 2Z and packing some grease in the drive end housing, also installing a rubber washer behind the fan to act as a slinger. A slinger is on all totally enclosed motor shafts and water pumps, any water traveling along the shaft travels onto the washer, instead of the bearing housing , it then travels out to the outer edge where centrifugal force allows the water to leave the washer.That washer needs to be tight on the shaft.

As to the fitment on motorcycles, the KLR 650 and Ninja 650 use the same plug and fan motor, the mounting may be different but that 3 screw pattern on the motor is the same, unless you damaged your mounting or threw it away, you can swap the mounting, all plugs are the same for that motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts