Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2016 Versys a couple of weeks back. I'm loving it. I took a long break from riding but I have about 10 year of riding experience in underpowered bikes in the subcontinent. I'm a short rider like 5' 7" people were trying to discourage me from getting this bike but I'm really comfortable with it. I do have to make sure I shift around to do a full flat foot on one side and breaks on the other. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I was think about getting a lower seat if I start to feel uncomfortable. I have a lowering kit but plan not to use it. Any other tips from other vertically challenged riders ?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Sky

·
Registered
932 Posts
Remove some if not all preload front and rear and you can sink another half inch I guess.
You are lighter too, so that shouldn't bother the ride
(I presume you are not looking for racing tuning, so no need for perfect sag).

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm 5'9" and can just barely flat-foot my Gen3 with both feet. I've ridden (but not owned) a few taller bikes like the BMW GS where I can't do that, though. Momentum is your friend --- anytime you can keep your feet on the pegs the height isn't a big issue. If it comes to it, I'd recommend trying a lower seat before a lowering kit in order to keep the handling in line with what the Kwacker engineers wanted. And if you add aftermarket luggage, I'd keep it as light and close to the bike's centerline as possible. Heavy aluminum panniers sticking way out might be a zero-speed/walking speed challenge. Having said all that, I know a lady about 5'5" you who has ridden her stock-height GS with huge aluminum panniers all over the USA, Europe, and Africa. She does need help sometimes to get her bike vertical off the sidestand depending upon the lay of the land. I also know a lady who is so short she can't even flat-foot her Goldwing which has a 29" seat height, and in fact even had to add wooden blocks to the foot pegs just to reach them!

Reactions: rvidhun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking bike and you don't look too small for it at all. You are actually still sitting and have a foot on the ground.

If you stand up with your feet straddling the bike can you touch flat foot or at least everything but your heels on the ground on both sides?
Yes I can touch front of my foot on both sides, I also got a pair of boots that help me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'd recommend trying a lower seat before a lowering kit in order to keep the handling in line with what the Kwacker engineers wanted.
Since the Versys is a re-tasked Ninja by lowering the frame you are taking it back to its sports bike profile. The proof is if you lower it you can use a stock Ninja kickstand. I'm a 30 inch inseam and I've got the lowering kit . I find it rides more relaxed on the road as the stock Versys is "raised" for ground clearance as an adventure type bike if that's what you want. Lowered Sargent seat as well, no seat slide as a bonus. And I had a cobbler do custom raised heels on my riding boots but too high and braking and shifting could get weird. Thus lowered foot pegs. With the lowering kit you lose an 1 1/4 inch I think and the lowered seat maybe 3/4 inch. When you fill up the gas tank its a lot of new weight up high which can catch you off guard.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
...Any other tips from other vertically challenged riders?
...(I presume you are not looking for racing tuning, so no need for perfect sag)....
I suggest that you DO "set your sag". Mine's at about 45mm, and while the bike seems quite HIGH when "getting ON", as soon as my weight settles onto the seat I can flat-foot (5' 9" or so/ 31" inseam/ 166 pounds).

AND
..........WELCOME aboard!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my 2016 Versys a couple of weeks back. I'm loving it. I took a long break from riding but I have about 10 year of riding experience in underpowered bikes in the subcontinent. I'm a short rider like 5' 7" people were trying to discourage me from getting this bike but I'm really comfortable with it. I do have to make sure I shift around to do a full flat foot on one side and breaks on the other. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I was think about getting a lower seat if I start to feel uncomfortable. I have a lowering kit but plan not to use it. Any other tips from other vertically challenged riders ?
View attachment 184461
View attachment 184461
it is always interesting when folks say don't lower, I think most of them are 6' plus tall. My wife and I are vertically challenged and mature in years. My wife rides her own. Twice for 3 months at a time, we rode Mexico/Central America on KLR 650's. Before lowering, it took a step ladder for us to get on. Lowering them allowed us to flat foot. And south of the border there are many pot holes or bigger in the roads, so many times going to stop, our feet/foot went in to a hole, if those bikes were full height we would have tipped our bikes over more than we did. Now she rides a '14 v650 and I ride '17v1k, both bikes are lowered. Interesting folks say it changes the frame dynamics, lower the back and lower the front. I don't know how they can say that or what they mean. We live in the mtns of western Colorado and our driveway is on a scenic hwy and very twisty. Mostly when we ride, my wife shits and gits, she knows where her gears are and she know how to ride twisties, I can say she knows how to drag her pegs too. We are not interstate riders but 2 lane state highways most of the time. Plus I have put dual sport tires on both bikes so we can ride dirt county roads. We still ride our stock seats and are ok with them. Do what feels best for you and enjoy your new sporty bike

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
Reminds me of riding my first bike- CT 70. I was 4. My brother was 7. Said it was for both of us, so... Couldn’t even get 1 foot down. I’d run along side the bike In 1st gear and hop on once moving. That wasn’t too hard with the auto clutch. The tricky part came when stopping. I had to hop off, run along side while braking or I’d just fall over. I was riding that CT 70 before the training wheels came off my bicycle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The one on my 09 V650 is the Motowerks. It has a corbin seat . I measured the seat height its about 31.5 inch (OEM height at 33.1 inch). My inseams are 30 inches. I still tip toe but its perfectly comfortable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You are better off to leave the bike the stock height and just adjust the suspension for your weight and sag. As long as you can flat foot one foot that will be fine. I found that with the lowering block on the rear, the suspension was just too hard, it changed the angle the shock works just enough to affect its travel. I have lowered pegs and use them to get on and off the bike. As I get older, its not as easy to swing my leg over.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I found that with the lowering block on the rear, the suspension was just too hard
I didnt notice any issue there with the lowering block but I ride mostly pavement. Im 160 lb-ish. I carry half loaded panniers constant. My rear shock is set for the most sag. With my other trip camping bag another 30 lbs. I guess. If you are heavy bottoming out might be something to consider. Or riding alot of bumpy on or off road though if thats your riding style you should not lower the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts