Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering a Shorai battery for my bike. I am mostly interested in the low discharge rate. I was wondering if any one had an experience with the Shorai batteries? Also, I wanted to get the LFX14A4-BS12 which is rated for 210CCA and 14ah lead acid equivalent. Shorai recommends the LFX19A4-BS12 which offers 285CCA and 19ah lead acid equivalent. Isn't our stock battery only 190 CCA and 9.6ah? Would the LFX14A4-BS12 be enough to reliably start our bikes at the same time not strain the battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello,

I am considering a Shorai battery for my bike. I am mostly interested in the low discharge rate. I was wondering if any one had an experience with the Shorai batteries? Also, I wanted to get the LFX14A4-BS12 which is rated for 210CCA and 14ah lead acid equivalent. Shorai recommends the LFX19A4-BS12 which offers 285CCA and 19ah lead acid equivalent. Isn't our stock battery only 190 CCA and 9.6ah? Would the LFX14A4-BS12 be enough to reliably start our bikes at the same time not strain the battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
5 lbs. weight shaving off the top of a top heavy bike makes the whole topic interesting and worthy. My experience with my E- bike Lithium Ion battery pack is pretty amazing really. Vancouver winters sometimes go well below freezing (Seattle weather)and Ive not seen any damage 3 winters now. Its in my unheated, separate garage and gets charged up after each ride, never have considered the temperature. I ride all winter unless its a frozen mess. Capacity is supposed to be less when very cold like any battery. Ive noticed a bit. There are many E-bike riders in this city that commute with one to replace a car, they go all weather. All the $billions being put into battery tech for E-cars now will reap its benefits for us in the future...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ignore the “Pb Eq” nonsense and look at the actual capacity. Then cringe at the price and buy an AGM that will work reliably for years if treated correctly.

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
Ignore the “Pb Eq” nonsense and look at the actual capacity. Then cringe at the price and buy an AGM that will work reliably for years if treated correctly.
X two!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, that's a fair point. I think it's only 5ah of actual capacity. I think I'm going to get the OEM Yuasa battery then. I considered lithium because the OEM Yuasa is like $160 and so is the Shorai. But the higher ah/CCA Shorai is $200. So...

·
Registered
31 Posts
if theres a compatible model look at odyssey batteries, they survive 6+ years on my KLR which will eat a regular wet cell battery per year and agm every 2 years. my 16 is low miles (5000ish) but in my experience bike batteries last 3-5 years even keeping them on a tender when not riding.
so im about to see if the pc545 will fit in the battery tray. ive used that model on a concours1000 and my klr650 both for 6 years and more.
the odyssey are expensive but worth it to me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Id have to say now Im interested. All thing being equal with the different battery chemistry performance you save 5 lbs around the gas tank for another $50. I like less is more. My OEM 2015 lead acid is still fine, never trickle charged it. So do you even need a charger for the Li-Ion? Seems like the older ones didnt have proper BMS, this is the special sauce for long lasting Li-Ion. Running all LED lighting halves the constant load on the charging system thus good for battery life I assume. LEDs were a novel concept in motorcycles not long ago, now it should be expected. Gonna do some more research.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Id have to say now Im interested. All thing being equal with the different battery chemistry performance you save 5 lbs around the gas tank for another $50. I like less is more. My OEM 2015 lead acid is still fine, never trickle charged it. So do you even need a charger for the Li-Ion? Seems like the older ones didnt have proper BMS, this is the special sauce for long lasting Li-Ion. Running all LED lighting halves the constant load on the charging system thus good for battery life I assume. LEDs were a novel concept in motorcycles not long ago, now it should be expected. Gonna do some more research.
I'm still leery on the heat thing. I do quite a bit of all day rides, sometimes when it's hot, though seldom above 100*.

I had to use a Walmart battery for a replacement on a trip. It's AGM and if IIRC, was about $75. That was installed about a year and a half ago.

I've found that losing my own personal body weight to be a cost effective way to shave top heavy weight on the bike. :wink2:

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've found that losing my own personal body weight to be a cost effective way to shave top heavy weight on the bike. :wink2:
Ive heard alot of folks here say the same thing! Im 160 lbs and 5 more lbs makes me feel sluggish. Unfortunately the motorcycle lifestyle doesnt encourage losing weight for most. Although weirdly when I ride a long day I dont feel like eating much. Drinking on the other hand, no loss of appetite there it seems at the end of the day..>:)

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don't laugh, but I'm still using the original in my '09. But I also have less than 20K miles. Was only on a trickle occasionally in the winters since I got it in 2013. Looking at AGM's at this time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed, the AGMs, I have used in the past are reasonably priced, and the weight difference is not going to make any discernible handling difference. $$$ for the Lithium batteries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts