Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Haven't committed to a Versys yet, but seriously in the market. I'm looking to do some more touring/multi-day rides in the future. And dreaming of Alaska...

For those in the know, how much difference between the first and second gen bikes ie '08-'09 and '10-?

Comments on two-up comfort?

I'm excited, this seems like a good community!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Not much difference in the years.. Rubber mounts for the engine and cosmetic change. Most who have ridden both claim little difference in vibes.

I ride 2 up sometimes, and the rear is a little small and hard. I do have a rear trunk installed with a back pad for passenger comfort and that really helps! Some say that if you are going to ride 2 up mostly, there are better bikes.

The people here are the best! :welcome:

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Not much difference in the years.. Rubber mounts for the engine and cosmetic change. Most who have ridden both claim little difference in vibes.

I ride 2 up sometimes, and the rear is a little small and hard. I do have a rear trunk installed with a back pad for passenger comfort and that really helps! Some say that if you are going to ride 2 up mostly, there are better bikes.

+1 & :welcome:

·
Registered
379 Posts

Don't forget the big difference... They put GOOD mirrors on the '10+ that you can see something other than your shoulders :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Capn- I'll probably only be two-up on shorter rides and would definitely add a trunk/backrest to increase the sense of security for my passenger.

My searches so far are telling me used Versys values are considerably higher in Seattle compared to some other areas...

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Capn- I'll probably only be two-up on shorter rides and would definitely add a trunk/backrest to increase the sense of security for my passenger.
You should be in good shape then! :thumb: I rarely take a passenger, but when I do, they don't complain too much about the seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, Tom, that's a generous offer! I'll let you know if I get to that point. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Tacoma, got a 2010 for sale in Alabama, can ship it up if you're interested.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Here is a pic of two up with my 100lb son. Two weeks to Alaska was a little tight but not bad. Did a 9 day trip with my wife with no issues either.

My thoughts are that if you plan on this being a 2 up touring bike you should look for something bigger. If you are looking for a fun daily rider that can multitask this is a great choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a pic of two up with my 100lb son. Two weeks to Alaska was a little tight but not bad. Did a 9 day trip with my wife with no issues either.

My thoughts are that if you plan on this being a 2 up touring bike you should look for something bigger. If you are looking for a fun daily rider that can multitask this is a great choice.
I do agree. If you want something that you can tour for hours then get a bigger bike. It's more fun! :exactly:

-
Important Concerns in Academic Essay Writing

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
I do agree. If you want something that you can tour for hours then get a bigger bike. It's more fun! :exactly:...
As one who has done quite a few 10+ hour days on a KLR... IMHO the Versys is an "armchair"!!!
:cool:
...a FAST armchair...!
:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Hey All,

For those in the know, how much difference between the first and second gen bikes ie '08-'09 and '10-?
The real difference is just cosmetic. The gen 2 bike looks better IMO. Mechanically they are identical. The gen 2 bike has a flatter seat (less forward slope into the tank) and different rear engine mounts that are supposed to reduce vibration but I don't really feel a difference. As with any other parallel twin, if you keep you vacuum synched (annually), vibration is no different than any other modern parallel twin, that is it is detectable but not intrusive.

Some gen 1 bikes have loud vibration sounds coming from the front fairing but this is easily fixed with some double sided foam tape placed between/under panels, particularly the front dash panel over the speedo.

·
Registered
429 Posts
after several months of investigation...I shortlisted Vstrom vs Versys...Vstrom is big and comfy for two up on long distance trips but not really practical for cities and twists...I realized that while I love doing long trips (only during vacation) I still use the bike more for cities and short week end trip...hence I ended up with the versys which fulfills the two functions without mastering the long distance trips...good compromise and I never regretted my choice ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts