Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
I am not sure either why I was charged. I sent 2 ECUs in separate parcels, all per instructions, as send for repair and insured. The funny thing is that they taxed me for 1 ECU, but not for the other! But I sent them to Michael, a dealer in Germany, and the customs are there probably more difficult than in USA. He was very helpful, but also said that he had similar issue with ECU being sent from UK. Anyway, I would suggest for anyone who sends ECU to Germany from non-EU countries to take into account that such issue can arise if one is not lucky. 250euro is not the end of the world, but still annoying. Both ECU's (for 650 and 1000) are on the way back. Waiting impatiently because my two bikes are sitting there in garage without the ECU brain :)

ps. I do you need a new ECU. haven't you flash the old one?
The cost of a new ECU was for insurance purposes, several places like partzilla wanted over $1000, I posted what my dealer quoted me more for info to others, sort what if it got lost in the mail****************OH you didn't insure it?? And that is why, someone knows you were sending that, that would be a fast $800 or more bucks on the black market. Also considered what the declared value was in case it got damaged in transit.

Registered
now it seems that this time customs in Thailand are annoying me. "
A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment.
Next Step
Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required"

Registered
ok, so I was completely ripped off my customs. a little bit in Germany, and in Thailand A LOT, I basically payed the price of a new ECU. and there is no way make an appeal, as there is a complete mafia here.

the question is - was it worthy it? I sent 2 ECU's 650 and 1000 and the latter one is still stuck in customs. It was my mistake that I insured them, because it gives customs an approximate what they are worth so they can rip me off. If anything, insuring them for half price makes more sense.

All what I got from 'being said from 'repair' is that they these crooks were holding them ECU's for one week, while giving me the quota for new ECU's being imported.

if you live in USA, there is no doubt that you should go for that upgrade. considering what you get is certainly worth the expense. if you live somewhere else, I would not be so sure. depending how much money you have. I spent 1250 euros (for 2 ecus's) for the import taxes.

The difference with my 650 is noticeable, but not huge considering that I had my O2 sensor removed and BP installed. there is not doubt that Steve did a great job. I need to test the bike further. I go tomorrow for a long trip, so I will gather more experience. I did notice so far that the transition between gears is smoother and engine braking softer. i am sure that many of you guys are more sensitive in these matters.

Registered
the thing that I am wondering is that according to Steve, the rev limiter was reduced to 9500 rpm. it is not really important as I don't like to stress the bike anyway, but after the flash, my rev limiter kicked in at 1000rpm, as the factory one. I had to get there by riding on 5th gear, but still.

by the way, in the ECU flash in Versys 1000, I feel more increase in power than in 650, not just smoothness.

Super Moderator

Registered
I recently went through some writings of Steve, and what puzzled me is him saying it is not true that modern bikes run lean from the factory. It is kind of against what everybody else is saying. In my carb bikes, I check the colour of my spark plug after riding 10km, and it should be light brown (one checks it in different throttle position, as carburators have 3 main fuel delivery systems). But in modern bikes it is difficult to access the spark plug and every spark plug eventually becomes dark. I did check the spark plug on my KLX230, which is easily accessible (after 1000km) and it was indeed on the darker side, even too dark (but it is an air cooled bike so it makes sense) which made me conclude that fitting any fuel enricher would be counterproductive.

if indeed the modern bikes do not run lean, so fitting EJK or BP would just make them run too rich. On the other side, my CRF250 with EJK does run stronger, and people do report improvement with BP. It is also possible that in certain range of rpm or while accelerating or decelerating the bike may run too lean. And it begs another question, does having an open exhaust leans out the air/fuel mixture? Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
... And it begs another question, does having an open exhaust leans out the air/fuel mixture? Any thoughts?...
IF you add an 'open' exhaust AFTER tuning for a muffled exhaust - YES, it will be leaner in MOST circumstances, if not ALL!

Registered
IF you add an 'open' exhaust AFTER tuning for a muffled exhaust - YES, it will be leaner in MOST circumstances, if not ALL!
Steve seemed to disagree saying that his tune for OEM exhaust should work just fine with open exhaust, when I suggested to leave the BP on to compensate the difference.

Registered
Y'all ought to datalog with a WB02 sensor... that might change your opinions about what is really happening. Plug reading is seriously outdated, and yes, a rich mix might feel "stronger" because there's more fuel on tap from the initial throttle tip in, but it wastes fuel in everything but the initial throttle opening.

Registered
Y'all ought to datalog with a WB02 sensor... that might change your opinions about what is really happening. Plug reading is seriously outdated, and yes, a rich mix might feel "stronger" because there's more fuel on tap from the initial throttle tip in, but it wastes fuel in everything but the initial throttle opening.
Steve, have compassion towards us, mere mortals. Many of us are not particularly knowledgeable in these arts. The question still remains, does fitting an open exhaust lean the mixture or not?

Registered
Steve, have compassion towards us, mere mortals. Many of us are not particularly knowledgeable in these arts. The question still remains, does fitting an open exhaust lean the mixture or not?
it might, it might not. you need to remember that not all aftermarket exhausts are the same; that the stock cat isn't as restrictive as you think (if at all) and that you're dealing with EFI, not carburetion... which is a BIG difference.

Registered
it might, it might not. you need to remember that not all aftermarket exhausts are the same; that the stock cat isn't as restrictive as you think (if at all) and that you're dealing with EFI, not carburetion... which is a BIG difference.
ok, it is good to know. but a free flow air filter would have a bigger impact on air/fuel ratio, no? I remember having Harley, and the company advise was actually to change the map only if both, exhaust and air filter were to be changed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts