Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known since I bought the bike that I had to set the sag, but have just been too lazy to do it. I finally got around to it yesterday (leaving it a little late, as we're off on a long-weekend ADV trip tomorrow morning), and dropped the preload lower... and lower... With the preload at the lowest setting, the bike did not freaking move when I sat on it.

My hubby fortunately had a little time this morning; I yanked the shock last night, and he took it in to Dave Moss at Catalyst Reaction. Dave replaced the 560 spring with a 500 (fun fact - with no spring on the shock at all, one eye on the ground, and both hands pushing on the other eye, Dave couldn't make the shock move). With that spring on, the bike actually goes down when I sit on it! The bike is almost short now. :cheers: It'll do for now.

I have to save my pennies for two 650 shocks, now - for my track bike and my streetbike. :(

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
So you lowered the bike by changing the spring.:thumb:

anyway :goodluck: on your long weekend ride and be safe.

:cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The height isn't important - it's the compliance. With no real sag, the thing was just too harsh, too stiff. It needs a little give to work right.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Now measure the front... :D

Luckily, those springs are pretty cheap too.

Gustavo

PS - I am pretty sure the rear spring on the Versys is 900 lbs/in (~16 kg/mm).

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was amazed at the ride after setting the sag on the front and rear on my V. the adjustment was very small to get it right so I didn't think I would notice anything, but wow the ride was way better.
I have raced dirt bikes for years and I know how important it is to at least get the sag adjusted right off and then start working on getting the rebound and compression adjusted. different tracks will require different settings.
I'm still playing with the rebound on my V, no compression adjustment here though. Its getting better:thumb:
It a good idea to keep notes on the changes you make.
Enjoy the Ride!
Donn:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, maybe the dude who had the bike before me replaced it. Dave Moss checked the rate on the spring he took off before getting me the replacement.

The bike was bottoming out in the more interesting bits of the offroad section of the trip, so I set the preload up one click and it was much, much better. It's still harsh, but that's the fault of the shock now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts