Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These rates were gathered using Intercomp Load Cell

The stock spring has 5mm of preload placed on it when the adjuster is at its minimum.

You'll notice that the measurements indicate that the spring is also progressive.

Based on these measurements I've got to say that Kawasaki did a great job of sizing a spring for the Versys linkless rear suspension. This spring is on the firm side for folks weighing in below 200lbs, but seems to fit a sweet spot for those over or who might be loading down the tail section.

The weak spot is definitely the compression valving in the shock. A lot of street suspension is built with little consideration for choppy bumps. I'm just debating on whether Racetech needed a tool that I don't have to rebuild this shock. I suspect that all that needs to be done is tap a recharge bolt into the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Interesting to see how the spring rates changed with compression, it certainly doesn't look to be that progressive. Good info there. :thumb:

Pretty big difference in travel compared to spec. When you did the wheel/suspension travel test, was the starting position a fully extended shock with no load on it and preload set to minimum? BTW, my Powerbronze hugger also hits the battery box when the suspension bottoms out.

Gustavo

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Starting point was with shock fully extended. Preload has no effect on shock length (other than to force it to be fully extended). The spring was not installed while I was measuring. To get the upper ranges of wheel travel shock was removed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
damn...that's good spring info...now I better go look at my hugger...yea, it's got a scar on it, too. next tire will be a 60 series storm2, then I can lower the hugger, but modding the battery box could be better in the long run...now I better go look at that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts