Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 650 with about 36,000k on it. I bought the bike off a old guy 4 years ago who could no longer ride due to his age (85..). The bike had a full service history except the forks have never been done. He thought he had them done at 32k but got confused with the brakes and rang me today to tell me (very admirable of him).
I was going to do them soon anyway but seen the bikes 14 years old with the original oil will they need more than new seals and oil? My dad is a retired mechanic and was going to take the bike this weekend and make a start but he's suggesting it might need a fork rebuild kit. I was about to order one but they cost over $100 and I'm on a budget. Would it be a requirement for something 10 years past its service date. Or should it be OK with just fresh oil, seals and a clean? They still work fine.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
IF your seals are NOT leaking - I suggest you drain them, then flush them w/ ATF, re-drain, several times, then put them back together w/ fresh fork-oil, in the CORRECT AMOUNT!!! (FWIW - I use ATF as my fork oil.)

I've used ATF in my forks since I raced enduros in the '70s, as that's what we did.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, probably nothing to lose by just getting them off and giving them a good clean and flush. Nicer weather is arriving and I just want to ride it asap...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts