Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my front tire with a Shinko 705 but it shows to be a tubeless tire. Is it ok to run it with a tube? Should I go with the 110/80-19 ?
Thanks
Tex

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tube tires require a tube. Tubeless tires make to tube not required but optional. I am running 705s on mine with tubes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tube tires require a tube. Tubeless tires make to tube not required but optional. I am running 705s on mine with tubes.
Thanks for the reply, the only thing I found said if the rims were MT type it is OK to run tubeless tires with tubes but I could not find anywhere if the X300 had MT rims.

·
Registered
2014 650 versys
34 Posts
Looking to replace my front tire with a Shinko 705 but it shows to be a tubeless tire. Is it ok to run it with a tube? Should I go with the 110/80-19 ?
Thanks
Tex
I spent the $!$ and put Michelin 5 on, lived, 3-5 faster in the turns

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had michelin and now shinko 705 - completely different tires for different needs. road 5 is pavement ONLY. I crashed hard when road 5 washed out because of little loose sand on the gravel road. On the other hand, road 5 is excellent on pavement. 705 - I do not like going faster 65 with it, lots of shaking comparing to road 5, but it's much better off road

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had michelin and now shinko 705 - completely different tires for different needs. road 5 is pavement ONLY. I crashed hard when road 5 washed out because of little loose sand on the gravel road. On the other hand, road 5 is excellent on pavement. 705 - I do not like going faster 65 with it, lots of shaking comparing to road 5, but it's much better off road
You may have a balance problem. No shaking on my 705s above 80mph.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agree, comparing the Road 5 with a 705 is like comparing a Corvette to a Jeep. But I have done extensive reading on the Shinko 705, and have not heard of anyone saying they get shaking at higher speeds. Maybe a bit of vibration and noise, but not shaking. You may want to have them balanced again or try putting some balancing beads in them.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
705 - I do not like going faster 65 with it, lots of shaking comparing to road 5, but it's much better off road
I had my throttle on my '08 V650 "stick-on" the other day ;) and it got to about 105 BEFORE I could "unstick" it....

Wearing Shinko E-705 on both ends, at 36psiF, 42R....

·
Registered
Vx300
93 Posts
Ordered up a set of Avon Trailriders. Street tires primarily. Look similar to the stock IRCs but better. Tri-compound. Will let you know

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agree, comparing the Road 5 with a 705 is like comparing a Corvette to a Jeep. But I have done extensive reading on the Shinko 705, and have not heard of anyone saying they get shaking at higher speeds. Maybe a bit of vibration and noise, but not shaking. You may want to have them balanced again or try putting some balancing beads in them.
I have slight double vision in my mirrors with shinko 705. It was balanced in the shop, I also double-checked the balancing as I have a balancing stand. The problem is that tread pattern is asymmetrical so it pushes the wheel from side to side while riding. I can't say you cannot ride shinko at all, I already made several thousand miles with it, it's just not satisfying comparing to road 5.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have slight double vision in my mirrors with shinko 705. It was balanced in the shop, I also double-checked the balancing as I have a balancing stand. The problem is that tread pattern is asymmetrical so it pushes the wheel from side to side while riding. I can't say you cannot ride shinko at all, I already made several thousand miles with it, it's just not satisfying comparing to road 5.
Good to know because I'm really considering switching to the 705. I currently have the Road 5 and hit 108 (don't tell my wife, my throttle stuck like Fasteddie's did. LOL) on the interstate the other day and it's super smooth. Not that I do that often, but I do ride between 70-80mph most of the time. If I'll have a lot of extra vibration I may not go that route.

I've also had a non rubber mounted Harley so I know all about having the double vision in the mirrors. The mirrors were useless on that thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
for me even 90 is scary with shinko, with road 5 I never had any issues.. I think shinko has worse quality control so it might happen that my tire is far from perfect

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
36/42 cold? I could try that, I always had 32/36... front shinko 705, rear dunlop trailmax mission
Yes - 36F, 42R is cold, and BTW - I balance my tires using 'generic' dyna-beads.

(y)(y)

:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts