Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have removed bar end weights and replaced them with Acerbis Dual Road and I have mounted Givi Top case Maxia 55E - big one.
When i was ridin on small trip I have noticed that when I ride around 50-60 km/h and when I will release handlebar I get huge shimmy.

I guess removing bar end weights and big load on back makes the problem.
Anyone noticed the same ?

Maybe I should change rear and front suspension settings to avoid it ?

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
I have the same set-up as you for 2 years now but i left the bar weights on just used the longest bolts and thickest spacer that came with the handguards. Never had an issue no matter how loaded down.

IMG_0017 by weljo2001, on Flickr

008 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
108 Posts
You may want to tighten up your steeringhead bearings? I've had problems with shimmying on other bikes that went away or were at least minimized when the steeringhead bearing were torqued correctly. It might be worth a try anyway.

GDI

·
Registered
601 Posts
You may want to tighten up your steeringhead bearings? I've had problems with shimmying on other bikes that went away or were at least minimized when the steeringhead bearing were torqued correctly. It might be worth a try anyway.

GDI
+1

Also on a previous bike, that shimmy was decreased (but still present) when the top case was removed. I think the flexing of the rack I was using was transferring a little bit to the front end.

Defintely got better when the steering stem bearings were tightened down more.

How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Check the bearings for sure. I'd try adding a bit of pre-load on both ends of the bike. My KLR had a little shimmy when I first added the Pelicans to it but setting the suspension up a little firmer calmed it down.

·
Registered
670 Posts
also, don't release the handlebar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts