Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I a pretty new rider and im am comfortable enough to start to shift the gears on the bike with out the use of the clutch, just like in a car. of course you have to time it just right and the rpms and the planets must be aligned just right blah blah.

but is this "safe" to do on the bike? will i break anything? should i just stick to useing the clutch at all times?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I pickup my Versys on Monday, so for right now, I only have my track bike. I use the clutch for 100% of my shifts. I've been riding for 20 years now and I've had about 7 street bikes.

It's much easier to shift without the clutch on a bike because of the engagement mechanism; however, I don't do it. There is more shock to the driveline when performing no-clutch shifting.

Here is an easy way to answer your question. Would you buy a used bike that someone admitted to routinely shifting w/o the clutch? Not me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is safe to shift without the clutch if the revs are right and you can do it smoothly .

I race offroad bikes and hardly use the clutch for up shifts although I do use it for down shifts .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always shifted without using the clutch. I typically only do it when I'm getting on it not if I'm putting around. I've had 9 or 10 streetbikes and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
clutch or not

Never use clutch up the box after i hit third gear unless in traffic had no problem in thirty plus year, use clutch down the box, used to race 20 year ago and only used clutch to pull away and down shift , just get the revs right then it comes automatically,P.S. clutch will last longer that way.
r

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never use clutch up the box after i hit third gear unless in traffic had no problem in thirty plus year, use clutch down the box, used to race 20 year ago and only used clutch to pull away and down shift , just get the revs right then it comes automatically,P.S. clutch will last longer that way.
r
I agree.... I have been shifting without a clutch for years on many different bikes and have never had any problems. The key is to match the rpms. If done correctly the shifts up and down are very smooth.:thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you need an ignition interrupter to ease the shift. Commonly used on sport bikes(by folks who want to not use the clutch). It uses a switch attached to the shifter, this triggers the electronic unit which momentarily interrupts the ignition. This reduces the engine power during the instant of shifting thus reducing the load on the gear dogs and wear.

Personally, I use the clutch and find it doesn't require a complete pull of the clutch, just enough to reduce the amount of engagement of the clutch plates. Works for me.

Red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts