Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm guessing it's a combination of practice and break-in.

Even if you have hundreds of thousands of miles on motorcycles, each bike will be a bit different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm guessing it's a combination of practice and break-in.

Even if you have hundreds of thousands of miles on motorcycles, each bike will be a bit different.
I went from a KLR650 2008 with a smooth as butter gear box to the 2011 V
After riding it a few miles I hated the gear box. At about 1000 miles it had smoothed out nicely, not great but exceptable. Now with 2500 on it no complaints. I'm getting ready to change to synthetic which will bring even more smiles.

·
Registered
720 Posts
For my bike, yes shifting after 6k rpm is a softer click compared to below, although with fully synthetic oil it is not to hard either. Make sure you spray some wd40 on the gear shift linkages down there and also on the clutch lever pivot once in a while. Lube the clutch cable as well. It helps with smoother clutching and shift. The difference can be immediately felt if you haven't been doing it for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The transmission does not like you to be gentle. Shift it like you mean it and it becomes smoother.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Shifting ease improved mostly from breaking-in. It'll get progressivelly better still as you double your actual mileage... Shifter's main pivot should be properly cleaned and greased periodically by removing left footpeg mount to access it. There is a seal on both ends.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am approaching 10,000 and use full synthetic. Mine still clunks like an old Buell but I have gotten used to it. I have noticed that some days it seems to shift a little better than others. Maybe I should throw some Zannex in the crankcase with my next oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine happened at 9,000km. Went for a blast from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket and when I got back, the gear shift seems to be very smooth.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just did my first change to synthetic at 1900 miles. I was hoping for downshifting to improve, but it didn't happen. I'm beginning to think that this is not the bike to "tap" into neutral and that it's just easier to go into first gear and back. I do sense that the engine is smoother and no I have no scientific basis for this observation :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
after the second gear, I upshifht most oh the time (even at low rpm) without using clutch (only with short throttle cut) and gearbox won't klong.
I was talking with a co-work that used to work in transmission development
at Harley, we were talking clutches. He said he hates clutches, he said he never uses his, except to get the bike rolling, up shifts and down shifts are all done through throttle control. I do the up shifts this way, but I really don't like the feel of down shifting this way. . . . Too jerky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got about 2500 miles now on my 2012 and I do feel like the shifting is getting smoother though that could just be me getting up the experience curve. One thing I have noticed lately however, is that when I am coming to a stop and trying to go from a higher gear all the way down to first, that it can be quite difficult between 2nd and 1st. On a couple of occasions, it seemed like I was grinding the gears on this jump, even though I know the clutch lever was pulled in all the way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts