Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not intend to buy a bike today, but I found a deal on an 08 with ABS that was too good to pass up. I pick her up tomorrow.

The actual bike...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked her up today and hit the mountains. I did about 185 miles and all I can say is WOW! I can't wait to see what she will do over 4500 RsPM!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, I can't begin to tell how much you make me sick. I love that bike. Your a lucky man. :clap:

I saw that you were selling the V, are you still selling or did you trade?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I can't begin to tell how much you make me sick. I love that bike. Your a lucky man. :clap:

I saw that you were selling the V, are you still selling or did you trade?
Thanks! Yep, she is still for sale.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Out of curiosity, where did you find it? I would like to find a decent Kwak dealer somewhere nearby—and not that particular one in Roswell. I have sworn not to give them any more of my business unless I have to.

I see the leaves are still not turning. Last weekend was unimpressive on Burnt Mountain.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow. The Versys a little too fast for you??

:D
I have a story for you! This was originally posted by someone under the screen name HellBent over at Kawasakimotorcycle.org ( http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/56776-connie-squid.html ):

Well, I am beyond the break in stage with the Concours 14 so decide it IS time to twist the wick a bit. Knowing the way I ride, I put ALL of my gear on. Levi's, long sleeved shirt, boots, chaps, leather jacket, gloves and full face helmet. Then I have to pee. By the time I finally get to the bike I am weak from dehydration and heat exhaustion. A 6 pack of Coke later, I have to pee again.

Eventually, I back the bike out of the shed and try to turn the key. *&^%$####@er!!! The damned fob is in the house. This bike has a key and a key activator thingy, more commonly called a FOB. If the FOB is more than 5.5 feet from the bike, the key won't work. Back in the house for the FOB aka Found On the Bed. Don't ask. FOB now in my pocket I go back out and polevault my way onto the bike. Yes, it is that tall. With a 32 inch inseam I cannot flat foot the thing, but then I have fat thighs. Too many donuts back in my teen years when I was practicing to be a cop. So, I got the fat thighs and the belly but no badge. Go figure. (pun intended)

Okie Dokie, fire the puppy up and listen closely to see if it is running. It is, so I kick it into gear and ease out the drive and onto the street, idling along until the temperature gauge moves into the operating zone. A right turn takes me onto Hwy E and I ease up to 60 mph, just loafing along, letting things warm up. A mile down the road and I pass under Hwy 67, a four lane controlled access highway. Slow almost to a stop and then left up the ramp to 67. Idling along in first gear, straighten the bike, slide forward a bit and squeeze the tank with my knees. A quick head check tells me there is no traffic to merge with so here goes.

Ever seen a cat take off when you soak his tail in lighter fluid and toss a match to it? No? Well, trust me, they are quick. But, not as quick as that freakin' Concours when I twisted that wick. Suddenly I am riding a unicycle and for those of you who have read my other stories, you know I have trouble staying upright on two wheels, and now I am on ONE???? OH, HELL NO!!!! Roll off the throttle, yank in the clutch and pop it into second. BEHAVE, *****!!!!

Roll on the throttle and the front gets up a bit, but touches down lightly. The tach passes 9 grand and quick shift into third and HOLY HELL THE FRONT END IS OFF THE GROUND, AGAIN!!!! If this was a cowhorse I would slap the nag between the ears and knock him down but I need both hands to hold on to this thing. Roll off the throttle and re-evalute. I try to slide forward on the seat and realize my *** has sucked the seat all the way to my tonsils.At least I won't fall off.

Ok, this thing has control issues, I can deal with that, I have been married a long time. Start over again, easing into the throttle in first gear, the Kawasaki beller kicks in about 6000 rpm and just gets meaner up to 9000. Clutch in, ease off the throttle, catch second, roll on the throttle. Better, smoother, controllable, feels good. Past 6 grand again, it sings to me, I love it. 9000 now, holy sweet Jesus, I am in second gear somewhere north of 70 miles per hour and I have 4 gears left ????? My wife better get more life insurance on me.

So, later that day on some crooked two lane blacktop road I catch a glimpse of a bike disappearing around a curve ahead of me. The devil I am riding whispers, "catch him". We do, and it turns out to be three crotch rockets. All I can see is the soles of their feet and their butt cracks as they make love to the gas tanks, squirting their way through the 35 and 40 mph curves at 65. I can hear the banshee wale of their pipes as they work their bikes through the gears, braking hard before entry and flogging hell out of them on exit. The ***** glides along behind them, flowing like a ghost through the curves.

Around a left hander we enter a short straight and I become...SUPER SQUID!!!!!

My brain goes for donuts as my left hand yanks in the clutch, left foot stomps the shifter three times, right hand twists the throttle to the stop. The ***** chortles as we pass the first two riders, their eyes wide with awe and admiration. Pulling even with the lead rider I see him hunch lower and sock the spurs to his mount. To no avail as I snick the shifter into 4th and we GO. WE JUST GO! WE FRIGGIN' GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Sulu, warp 5 please. Aye Captain.

WHOA HORSIE, who put a 45 mph curve there? Right there! The force is with you, Luke, trust the force. The she-devil flows through the curve like gas through a siphon hose. How fast were you going you ask. I have no idea, I closed my eyes.
According to the guy that wrote that, the bike performed like that while she was wearing the bags.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of curiosity, where did you find it? I would like to find a decent Kwak dealer somewhere nearby—and not that particular one in Roswell. I have sworn not to give them any more of my business unless I have to.

I see the leaves are still not turning. Last weekend was unimpressive on Burnt Mountain.
I got her at Millennium in Snellville. I had the 1st service done in Gainesville. They are a pretty nice bunch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a story for you!

According to the guy that wrote that, the bike performed like that while she was wearing the bags.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can relate...The first time I hit it hard I was merging on to HWY400 at exit 17 South. I had a kid in one of those POS tuner cars with the coffee can exhaust try to cut me off from the outside of the merge lane. I had the lane that did not have to merge. I stayed beside him until just before the point where he was going to eat the hill and I twisted it to the stop. It was like being shot from a cannon. I only hit about 8500 of the 10,500 RsPM available in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I shifted into 4th and was already climbing past 115 mph and decided that was enough. I would love to take her to Bonneville!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Awesome scooter Graham. I can see getting something like that in a couple of years. Comfort, performance and great looks.

Nice choice!

·
Registered
754 Posts
My only question is how long before you get bored with this one Hooligan? Looks like you have a serious bike habit there, and they all end up photographed by the lake!
Bitchen bike BTW.:thumb:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHAHAHAHA! That's a fair question! I have been through a few in the last 4 years searching for that perfect bike. The Versys was the best of the bunch but a little too small for me on long trips. The Connie is not as nimble (but pretty close) as the V, but it is much better for me in the touring mode. There is a good chance I may keep this one long enough to need tires!

·
Registered
754 Posts
We won't hold you to that.:) BTW, Ducati has a few never purchased Desmosidici RR's for sale. Asking price, $72,000. The lake is waiting!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts