Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Been working on trying to improve my Versys 650 overall for a while now. Thought I'd share how it's coming along, and list the current mods I've done. I'm really proud of it. Only been riding since Nov. 2019, and I've poured my heart into making this bike something special.

I bought this bike with about 2800 miles on it, and it's now around if not passed 8500. It's gone through two oil changes; the first was Motul Part Synthetic, and this last one was Motul full synthetic which has made such a tremendous difference with how smoothly shifting is.

I've added the following mods:
Shinko 705s
Speedmetal LED conversion kits (both headlights)
Strompgrip Tank grips
Kaoko Throttle Lock
T-Rex Racing Center Stand
LED updated headlights
GIVI Monokey Luggage racks
GIVI Top rack
GIVI Monokey Plate
Puig Foot pegs with removable rubber inserts for offroading
Givi Engine guards
Rox Risers with the anti-vibe rubber
MZS Shorty levers
Rear Axle Spools/Sliders
Kickstand foot widener
And just last week, I slapped a dash cam on the bike which has been pretty awesome. It's a Vsystro which is available on Amazon. So far it seems to be working fantastic.

Future upgrades include -
T-Rex Racing Engine Guards which is a bigger 'cage' that wraps around the front and will offer better protection of the fairings. I've already had to do some repairs to mounts because I'm still dropping the darn thing due to it's height compared to me (I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam).
Skid plate - It's to help protect it, but also transfer the weight lower. After installing the luggage racks I noticed an increased issue with keeping it upright. After installing the center stand, it's made it significantly easier to deal with as it pulls the weight lower. I can handle it easier. It's surprising how much of a difference its made.
Probably going to be looking at that low seat next. I tried an OEM 'low' seat but the way it's designed, it was wider than the standard one which felt like it kind of made up for the lack of height. It made barely any difference with being able to touch the ground. So hoping a Seat Concepts or maybe a Sergeants 'low' will be a better option.
Tool tubes which I'll be tucking under the luggage racks.

It definitely feels heavier now, and I can tell the engine isn't pulling as easily as before all the new weight was added. But it's been amazing to ride, and learn on despite my troubles with it. These bikes are fantastic. It's taken a bit of a beating, and it still looks beautiful.

Watching the sun set with a friend. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
Suggest you replace the OEM horn w/ something better. I have WOLO Bad Boy horns (130dB on both my V's) bought from Harbor-Freight ($29...?). Mounted under the LEFT fairing on Gen 1 and Gen 3 Vs.

DSC03569 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC03576 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would be interested in
your engine gaurds if you
want to sell them ... I like the t-rex but they wont fit over my
oem fog lights
This crash bar will not interfere with OEM fog lights

On pictures you can see it has very good protection on lover side of motorbike ,and upper parts of motorbike.
I have that crash bar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys. Been working on trying to improve my Versys 650 overall for a while now. Thought I'd share how it's coming along, and list the current mods I've done. I'm really proud of it. Only been riding since Nov. 2019, and I've poured my heart into making this bike something special.

View attachment 180216

I bought this bike with about 2800 miles on it, and it's now around if not passed 8500. It's gone through two oil changes; the first was Motul Part Synthetic, and this last one was Motul full synthetic which has made such a tremendous difference with how smoothly shifting is.

I've added the following mods:
Shinko 705s
Speedmetal LED conversion kits (both headlights)
Strompgrip Tank grips
Kaoko Throttle Lock
T-Rex Racing Center Stand
LED updated headlights
GIVI Monokey Luggage racks
GIVI Top rack
GIVI Monokey Plate
Puig Foot pegs with removable rubber inserts for offroading
Givi Engine guards
Rox Risers with the anti-vibe rubber
MZS Shorty levers
Rear Axle Spools/Sliders
Kickstand foot widener
And just last week, I slapped a dash cam on the bike which has been pretty awesome. It's a Vsystro which is available on Amazon. So far it seems to be working fantastic.

Future upgrades include -
T-Rex Racing Engine Guards which is a bigger 'cage' that wraps around the front and will offer better protection of the fairings. I've already had to do some repairs to mounts because I'm still dropping the darn thing due to it's height compared to me (I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam).
Skid plate - It's to help protect it, but also transfer the weight lower. After installing the luggage racks I noticed an increased issue with keeping it upright. After installing the center stand, it's made it significantly easier to deal with as it pulls the weight lower. I can handle it easier. It's surprising how much of a difference its made.
Probably going to be looking at that low seat next. I tried an OEM 'low' seat but the way it's designed, it was wider than the standard one which felt like it kind of made up for the lack of height. It made barely any difference with being able to touch the ground. So hoping a Seat Concepts or maybe a Sergeants 'low' will be a better option.
Tool tubes which I'll be tucking under the luggage racks.

It definitely feels heavier now, and I can tell the engine isn't pulling as easily as before all the new weight was added. But it's been amazing to ride, and learn on despite my troubles with it. These bikes are fantastic. It's taken a bit of a beating, and it still looks beautiful.

View attachment 180218

View attachment 180220

View attachment 180221
Watching the sun set with a friend. :D
Good show.

IMO, perhaps the best upgrades are the LED headlights and the Shinko tyres. These should have been fitted as stock considering that the Versys is marketed as a soft adv bike.

You can also consider LED aux lights.Do check out my posts; the difference in night riding is terrific.

Reactions: Lunar Firefly

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be interested in
your engine gaurds if you
want to sell them ... I like the t-rex but they wont fit over my
oem fog lights
If you'd like to buy them, I can probably arrange that once I get new engine guards mounted up. Was going to look at repainting them before I sold them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you'd like to buy them, I can probably arrange that once I get new engine guards mounted up. Was going to look at repainting them before I sold them.
I understand, however,I prefer as -is condition because I hope to save $
can you give me a price shipped to florida 34986

1 - 10 of 10 Posts