Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand this may be the wrong forum to ask this as the response may be biased, but am i crazy to want to replace my V with a kawi concours?

My dad bought a new bike and will be selling his old one. 02 kawi concours 40k miles. I have 09 versys 13k miles.

I like the full faring of the Connie, and the hard bags, but I can't get out to ride much lately as I have young children. I mostly commute on the V (3 miles thru city).

Should I abandon the fun factor for greater touring ability a few times a year? Have I lost my mind?

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
I just traded in my FJR liked it because of the wind protection, shaft drive, power and brakes. Main issue not comfortable for me and its a pain to work on because of all the plastic you have to remove. Heavy and the gas mileage about mid-30's. If you were going to do a lot of highway miles yes since you don't why bother unless you just want something different...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Since its your dads, why not see if he will let you borrow it for a few weeks or longer if able, with the understanding you are responsible for it entirely.. Then see if the bike makes sense to you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I rode a C1000 Concours for a few years. I eventually sold it because it was so heavy and wanted something lighter. I replaced it with a VFR750 which I enjoyed a lot more.

The Concours is a great bike, and if it doesn't feel too heavy for you then maybe it's a good fit. It's not super-smooth, but if you are coming from a gen1 or gen2 Versys then it'd probably feel about the same or smoother.

Since its your dads, why not see if he will let you borrow it for a few weeks or longer if able, with the understanding you are responsible for it entirely.. Then see if the bike makes sense to you.
This is a really good idea. My friend just bought a C1000 Concours and I suggested this same thing to him. He borrowed the bike for a Saturday morning and went on an extended test ride. Then purchased it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of borrowing it before buying it. That would probably make the decision clear. I wish I had hard bags for the V, but mine are soft and a PITA to install so I don't use them. Same story with my tank bag. I hate strap style tank bags. Unfortunately, I would spend as much on bags, a seat and windshield as I would on the Connie

·
Registered
638 Posts
I ride with a buddy who has a connie with over 60K, and he also has two older 750 Honda's. In all the short day rides we have done (100), and the longer weekend trips (10), he has only brought the big girl once. Still keeping it for posterity sake, but echo's the same sentiments mentioned above about size.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Unless the trip is all on superslab I would rather the Versys.

Keep looking for used hard bags.

I am just back last month from 8,000 kms / 5,000 miles on the V and did 650 kms yesterday - no problems

·
Registered
80 Posts
in the past I've owned two large sport-touring bikes (ST 1300 and R1200RT). They are great for travelling long distances with a heavy load while still offering some sporty characteristics. I took both bikes on multi-week tours that consisted of 7-8K miles each trip. While they are nice, they are not necessary. Recently, I started really working on packing lighter and smaller to lighten my load and increase my touring pleasure. Part of that process was moving to a smaller sport-touring bike....the Versys 650 LT. I've put 7,500 miles on the little V since I bought it in May and have taken her to 15 states. I don't feel like I have given anything up by not owning a larger sport-tourer. In fact, I think I have gained in areas like economy, nimbleness and overall fun.

I guess I have said all of that to say: if you are not planning on long multi-state trips I wouldn't own a Connie or any other larger sport-tourer. In fact, I can't think of any reason to own one at all.......so I don't.

But, that is rational thinking and sometimes bikes don't have anything to do with being rational. Life is short.......own the bike(s) that make you happy and everything else be damned. I only have ONE person to please........me.
Mike

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yea im kinda partial to it, I like the non-uniform look. I like it better than the 15's.
same here, when sylvester finally dies ill opt for a heart transplant (motor swap) befor i choose to replace it with another bike just due to its awesomeness... first gen for life =p

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have owned a Kawasaki Concours and I now own a '15 Versys 650.

First off, I know that there are a lot of Concours owners out there that love their bikes, and I am not trying to offend them. This is just my opinion:

I like the Versys better in every way. The Versys is lighter, more nimble, quieter, better brakes, better handling, more comfortable.

The Concours had a large amount of engine noise which drove me crazy. The brakes were adequate, but my Versys brakes are much better.
The Concours bodywork was a PITA to remove, the Versys is relatively easy.
If you are going to put the Concours on the centerstand, you better look like Schwarzenegger. It is very heavy and a B***ch to put on the stand.
The Concours is very heavy to maneuver when pushing out of parking spaces. You will learn to back into parking spaces when you park.
The Concours was heavy handling and does not remotely compare to the Versys.
I found the Versys engine to be smoother and less vibey than the Concours.
The Concours is a mile wide with its cases on. The Versys 650LT is much narrower.

I agree with the other posters about riding the Concours first. I predict that you will decide to keep your Versys and it will not take you long to decide.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I moved to my 09 Versys from a 99 Connie. Loving it. The Concours was a good bike, just too heavy. Guys that I know with 2nd gen Concours's love them. I would like to ride one, but I'll stick with my Versys.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of borrowing it before buying it. That would probably make the decision clear. I wish I had hard bags for the V, but mine are soft and a PITA to install so I don't use them. Same story with my tank bag. I hate strap style tank bags. Unfortunately, I would spend as much on bags, a seat and windshield as I would on the Connie
You can make the Versys a capable light tourer. Just look at the ride threads in my signature.

I wouldn't go back to carburetors if I had the choice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is my experience with that bike. My friend even put about 3K into upgrades to get 17" tires, fancier brakes/calipers, and comfort.

First off, I know that there are a lot of Concours owners out there that love their bikes, and I am not trying to offend them. This is just my opinion:

I like the Versys better in every way. The Versys is lighter, more nimble, quieter, better brakes, better handling, more comfortable.

The Concours had a large amount of engine noise which drove me crazy. The brakes were adequate, but my Versys brakes are much better.
If you are going to put the Concours on the centerstand, you better look like Schwarzenegger. It is very heavy and a B***ch to put on the stand.
The Concours is very heavy to maneuver when pushing out of parking spaces. You will learn to back into parking spaces when you park.
The Concours is a mile wide with its cases on. The Versys 650LT is much narrower.

I agree with the other posters about riding the Concours first. I predict that you will decide to keep your Versys and it will not take you long to decide.

·
Registered
77 Posts

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course the Concours is heavy, of course it involves a lot of effort to get naked. Of course handling is different. That does not take anything away from the Concours. You must have not ridden the Concours the way it was intended: on long tours. (BTW, I ride a V650).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts