Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and actually brand new to motorcycling. I picked up a 2016 Versys 650 and I'm looking to add some crash guards to protect the investment, especially being I'm new to riding.

What would you all recommend? I suppose for me, I'm mostly interested in budget friendly options. The previous owner already installed some frame sliders, but I'm looking for a bit more protection. Let me know what you have and why you like them. Thanks gang!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I had SW Motech engine guards on my '11. Saw a video of a bike doing a low side with them on and just a few scuffs. Not sure the difference in coverage for the 3rd gen bikes. Whatever you look at, you want to make sure they have at least 3 mounting points so they don't just bend. Even so called frame sliders that only have one mount point end up snapping off in anything more than a tip over.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have sliders on both the front and rear axles. Also good crash bars that wrap the lower engine. Many crash bars only protect the upper parts of the engine and some plastics, but that isn't enough if you go down on other than a smooth surface. If you slide into a kerb the bottom of the engine could be damaged, or if you ride on dirt roads there could be a rock right at the wrong spot when you tip over even at low speed.

Good frame sliders might be enough if you only ride on pavement.

If you have rear luggage installed it can help protect the bike. There are rear luggage guards available which stick out just in front of the factory hard plastic panniers. If you ride with the rear luggage a lot of the time, the guards may be well worth the investment.

I don't have an underside bash plate even though I ride off road some. The muffler sits under the oil pan, and while I don't hope to use the muffler as a bash plate, the cost of a good bash plate deters me.

Get a good radiator guard. Those little tubes in the radiator can get damaged from a stone kicked up by the vehicle in front of you, and then they can leak.

Be aware the front turn signals hit pavement when the bike tips over. Then the expensive plastic they mount to cracks. I installed micro sized LED front turn signals after that happened to me twice. LED signals are a lot brighter. There are plug and play resistor adapters so that they flash at the correct rate, so the install is quite easy.

Insurance protects you from major losses, so if you damage the engine it might not be a huge cost to you. Sliders or crash bars are more to protect against scrapes and dings which insurance won't cover. Or, if you go off road you want the protection so you don't get stranded in the outback. While I endorse crash bars, in reality your bike will probably pick up some rashes anyway, even on the bars themselves. For street use only I would be very tempted to go with good axle and frame sliders only, plus the micro LED turn signals.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have this type of crash bar, still didn't test them (and I hope that I will never need to test them).
I like them, assembly was not hard, I spend 2 hours because Versys 650 is my first motorbike ever, so I was very carefully with disassembly motorbike, and mounting crash bar.

Also this RD moto have 3 point of connection crash bar to motorbike, more connection points are better. Much harder to bend them in crash, and better force distribution if you crash motorbike.

If I am correct Fly-Sig have also that type of crash bar.

This 2 was also in choice to maybe buy , but I needed to quit because of expensive shipping and import price in my country.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have this type of crash bar, still didn't test them (and I hope that I will never need to test them).
I like them, assembly was not hard, I spend 2 hours because Versys 650 is my first motorbike ever, so I was very carefully with disassembly motorbike, and mounting crash bar.

Also this RD moto have 3 point of connection crash bar to motorbike, more connection points are better. Much harder to bend them in crash, and better force distribution if you crash motorbike.

If I am correct Fly-Sig have also that type of crash bar.
Yes, those are what I have on my '15.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
I have "road-tested" the crash-bars on BOTH my Gen 1s.

On the '08 I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph going up Mt Graham on AZ 366. Bent my shifter a bit, scratched the handguard, a SMALL one on the engine-case, and 'cracked' a rib. Hepco-Becker bars.

DSC05405 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

'Hid' the scratches on the crash-bars w/ electrical tape.

DSC05404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09818 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I low-sided the '09 on the Demster Hwy about an hour S of Inuvik, NWT when I was unintentionally forced off the road by a semi at about 30 mph. Wrote-off the bike (bent frame), the saddle-bag, BUT I rode it back to Kelowna over three days. S-W Motech bars.

P6212188 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6212189 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6212199 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I was NOT hurt on that low-side, and the Motech bars did a GREAT job for me. BTW - I replaced the bars on the '08 w/ S-W Motech bars, SIMPLY because the H-Bs would NOT work w/ the SW-Motech 'skid-plate'.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
40 Posts
It was a strange long shot, getting the Dimotiv guard, however, after 2 SD Black Hill trips for a total of 9 days of single track & ATV trails that included dozens of crashes, it always got me home.
On my first trip, on the last day, I sailed down the ravine, all good, the guard was crushed, and later I found that my swing arm was broken. Funny all good thanks to Diimotiv but the OEM swingarm didn't survive lol.
Dimotiv Engine Guard for KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 2015
Custer-JerryVid.jpg index2.jpg index.jpg swingarm-broken.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the T-rex crash guards on my 2009 versys and they saved my bike when I went down at 75 MPH. That and the Tusk hard panniers.

You can see my wreck here.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I run T-Rex cage and while I thankfully have not tested it yet, I have a high degree of confidence in the quality and design. I will also say that I had some pre-purchase questions and T-Rex Racing was quick in responding which I appreciated. I have Tusk boxes on the back attached via a custom fabricated rack. If I go down I suspect the rack will bend as it was designed to hold the weight up the boxes pulling down or back but not a side impact. Hopefully I never find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a good radiator guard. Those little tubes in the radiator can get damaged from a stone kicked up by the vehicle in front of you, and then they can leak.

Be aware the front turn signals hit pavement when the bike tips over. Then the expensive plastic they mount to cracks. I installed micro sized LED front turn signals after that happened to me twice. LED signals are a lot brighter. There are plug and play resistor adapters so that they flash at the correct rate, so the install is quite easy.

Thanks for this info. Can you post a link or just name brand of the Micro LED and Radiator Guard you purchased? I like your logic on that application. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 V650
19 Posts
I have just this weekend installed T-Rex engine guards and front axle slider and radiator grill guard. I like the way it all installed really nicely. I made a mistake when installing engine guard, I did not realize I had two longer bolts for main engine mount attachment point and struggled to attach with original bolts after getting it together I found those bolts in the bottom of the box it shipped in. Switched them out, that was SO MUCH easier! Radiator guard is nice but flexible, it sits a little off the front of the radiator and you attache a little self adhesive foam around the edges to prevent vibrating noise. I also bought the luggage guard but have not installed yet as I don't have saddlebags installed yet. But these are very easy to install, four attachment points using pillion pegs and clamp attachment to frame above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just finished the install on the T Rex Engine Guard as well. Did go on well and I saw the two replacement bolts early so I went right for it. What numbers did you torque those two bolts to? They referred to Kawasaki specs which I haven't researched yet? It was 15ft lbs for the frame bolts.
My bike had some accessory front LED lights which I believe is a Kawasaki stock part...the new guard makes the attachment of the lights impossible on that light bar...will need to find an offsetting bracket for it. Other than that...I really like the guard.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I've been side swiped on the LA 60 fwy at about 55-60 mph, bike and I went down on the left side and slid across three lanes of traffic this past 4 July Holiday weekend. I picked up the bike with minimal damage and I wasn't hurt and rode the bike home. T-Rex engine guard and Barkbuster limited the damage to the bike, the bike slid on the Barkbuster, engine guard slider pucks, and my Givi side pannier. I replaced the damaged cowling, middle section of the left wing, and a left turn signal. Left pannier still has a beauty mark.

·
Registered
2017 V650
19 Posts
I just finished the install on the T Rex Engine Guard as well. Did go on well and I saw the two replacement bolts early so I went right for it. What numbers did you torque those two bolts to? They referred to Kawasaki specs which I haven't researched yet? It was 15ft lbs for the frame bolts.
My bike had some accessory front LED lights which I believe is a Kawasaki stock part...the new guard makes the attachment of the lights impossible on that light bar...will need to find an offsetting bracket for it. Other than that...I really like the guard.
Service manual says 32ft lb both sides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts